Thursday, January 24, 2008

My adventures in canning

I realized tonight that I could not use my canning kit that I bought because it is an enameled pot and anyone that has a glass cooktop knows that you can't use enamelware with glass cooktops.

I was very upset about this. I had been looking forward to canning or jarring some jam for DAYS.

Oh, well. I'm just going to start looking for a very large steel pot that will fit the rack that came with my kit. It might take a while.

I still made my jam though...I kind of had to since I bought my raspberries a week ago. As it was, I still ended up throwing a lot of them out that had started molding. I still had a good five cups that were intact, so I made this jam from the Ball book of canning that came with my kit...albeit, altered a bit since the original recipe called for 9 cups of berries and I only got five out of what was left.

Raspberry Jam

5 c pureed raspberries
4 c sugar

Combine fruit and jam in large stockpot and bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for about ten minutes or until jam reaches jelling point or 210 degrees. Process in water-bath canner or freeze.

What I liked about this jam: I liked that I didn't need to add pectin to it.
What I disliked about this jam: I disliked that it bubbled so violently and sprayed pink all over my stove.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I did use the pint-size Ball Mason jars that came with my kit...two to be exact...and then one of the Ball freezing containers. I didn't process the jars in the water bath canner for the above reason, but I checked the internet and they all say those Mason jars are freezer-safe, so...we'll see.
Tastiness factor: I only licked my finger just a bit, but tomorrow I plan to have a bagel with butter and raspberry jam, so we'll see. I'll update next time what I thought of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Erica, my SIL has made jam for 25 yeras and DH and I have always used her tips. We have been married for almost 13 years and we've made a ton of jam, bbq sauce, etc.

-Run your jars through the dishwasher on your hottest setting to sterilize them.
-Set your oven at 200 and put a couple of cookie sheets in it, depending how many jars you use.
-Set up a large clean towel on your table or counter.
-Put the lid seals in a bowl and pour boiling water over them until they are covered.
-When your jam is ready and boiling hot, take a jar out of the oven, ladle in the hot jam, fish a seal out of the bowl with tongs, screw on the ring top and put the jar upside down on the towel.

If you leave the jars upside down for about an hour, you do not need to process them. The hot jar and hot jam pressing on them will make them seal. Flip them back over and as they cool you will hear the lids go "pop". Before you put them away in a cupboard, tap each seal. If the depression in the middle has popped down it's sealed and will be just fine. ( I keep mine on a shelf in my garage ) If not, put it in the fridge.

Trust me, this works beautifully and I have never had jam go funny or anything.

9:51 AM  
Blogger TM Cottontail said...

E! Your back! I missed you!

I grow raspberries in my garden for jam and I put them right in the freezer after picking and then make the jam in December for Christmas presents. You can do this with store bought raspberries until you are ready to use them (I know how expensive they are) and the taste is no different. Also, according to the Bell Blue Book, you can put a pat of butter in the jam as it's cooking to keep the foaming/bubbling down to a minimum. Hopefully that will help you out.

Tee

10:20 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

Ever since you posted this I've been having a toasted bagel with butter and raspberry jam for breakfast. Yum!

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erica,

Weird question. Is it possible to make jam out of pickles?

Have a nice day,

wholeglory

1:37 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Pickle jam. Hmm. I have no idea. I have heard about people making jalapeno jam, but not pickle jam. I'm sure that you probably could if you heated it up enough but jam from cucumbers sounds a little mushy.

I googled it and didn't find much.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home