Saturday, February 16, 2008

Apricot Jam

My friend C mentioned that her boyfriend J also mentioned that he really thought apricot jam was delicious. I had never heard of such a thing, let alone tasted it. So, I decided I would try it.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that there are no fresh apricots available and no frozen ones available, I bought eight packages of dried Mediterranean apricots and rehydrated them by soaking them in boiling water for thirty minutes and then running them through the food processor. Seemed to work fine although I'm sure fresh would have been better.

Apricot Jam

2 quarts of peeled, crushed, pitted apricots
6 cups sugar
1/4 c lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook to the gelling point and ladle hot jam into hot jars. Process in water bath canner for 15 minutes OR use inverting method (thanks again, Kelley!) to seal jars.

What I liked about this recipe: Pretty easy to make and it makes a lot. I got two pint jars and four half-pint jars out of it, and since I only bought 1 1/2 quarts of apricots, I cut the sugar to 4 1/2 c and the lemon juice to 3 Tbsp.
What I disliked about this recipe: Again, it bubbled violently and this time burned my index finger. I think I'm going to have to invest in a taller stock pot soon.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I bought a flat of quilted jelly jars with fruity lids and fruity labels. See picture. They are pretty cute.
Tastiness factor: Very good although I have no doubt that fresh apricots would have been much better. I had it this morning on toast and it was very tasty, although the first thing I thought of when I ate it was how much it tasted like dried apricots. Oh, well. Still very very good and very sweet. I have already unloaded a jar on my dad and stepmom as a hostess gift and one on my father-in-law, so we'll see how everyone likes it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home