Thursday, March 27, 2008

More brunch food

Hashbrown Bake

2 lb package of shredded frozen hashbrowns
1/2 c chopped onion
1 c sour cream
10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
3 c shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 c butter

Place hashbrowns in a greased 13x9 baking pan and add salt and pepper to taste. In a mixing bowl, combine onions, sour cream and soup and pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until top is golden.

What I liked about this recipe: It was very easy and fast to make. I made it first to go with a brunch and it was just baking away while the eggs and bacon were getting going.
What I disliked about this recipe: Way too rich. I cut the butter to 1/4 c and the cheese to 2 c and it was still very, very cheesy. It also doesn't reheat well.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: Hmm...my whisk was handy for combining the sour cream and soup and onions.
Tastiness factor: Good. I'm not sure I would make it again because of the richness, the fact that it doesn't reheat well, and it was a little too oniony for me, but if I had to make something to take to a potluck brunch, this would be a good choice. It says it serves six to eight, but I think that's off...I'd say 10-12 is more accurate or maybe even more depending on the size of the servings. It's one of those dishes where a little goes a long way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home