Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Food to wake up with

Breakfast and brunches are fast becoming my favorite thing on the weekends. There are just so many cool things you can make for breakfast!

Banana Pancakes

1 c all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 c milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, pureed or mashed


Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a second bowl. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until combined. Drop 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle and cook on both sides until done.

What I liked about this recipe: I had everything on hand and didn't need anything special.
What I disliked about this recipe: It was not as banana-y tasting as I hoped.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I just bought a Calphalon double-burner griddle pan and it worked great once I got the hang of it.
Tastiness factor: Very good although I will add a third banana next time, vanilla extract and probably some cinnamon to enhance the flavor even further.


Sugarplum Bacon

1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
8 slices of bacon, cut in half crosswise

Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Dip bacon in mixture to coat and shake off excess. Twist bacon pieces and place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crispy and sugar bubbly. Place on foil-lined plate to cool. Makes 16 pieces.

What I liked about this recipe: It was so easy to clean up! I thought it would be a messy recipe but it just wasn't at all as long as the foil was used.
What I disliked about this recipe: Very, very sticky fingers. Make sure there are plenty of napkins available.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: Nothing really...it was a snap to make.
Tastiness factor: If you are craving a sweet-tasting bacon, this is for you. It is SO tasty and SO easy to make. I will probably make this next time I am making bacon for a crowd as it is a lot easier and simpler than frying bacon in the skillet or in the microwave AND it doesn't stink up the house. Very delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home