Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kid Food, Chapter 2

Not only does McKenna adore this dish, but my friends like it too.

Macaroni and Cheese

2 Tbsp salted butter
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 c milk
1 c shredded mild Cheddar cheese
2 c cooked pasta

Melt butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour. Stir constantly and cook for about two minutes on medium until mixture is golden and bubbly. Whisk in milk. Lower heat to low and cook for about ten minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Combine cheese sauce with cooked pasta in a large bowl and serve.

What I like about this dish: It is SO versatile and SO easy. You can use any pasta (I used shells tonight) and just about any cheese (I used a Colby/Jack mix). It takes about three to four minutes longer than the box stuff does.
What I dislike about this dish: The color is not the same as the box stuff and some kids will turn their nose up at it. Easily remedied with a bit of food coloring....about six to seven drops of yellow will do it. Add some red if you like your mac and cheese orange.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I love my whisk for this sauce.
Tastiness factor: It does need salt, I will admit, but for a kid dish, you don't want it overly salty. My daughter loves it and so do I.

Erica's Tips: Boil pasta for about ten minutes with salt and a little bit of oil to flavor the pasta and keep it from sticking together while draining. I always rinse my pasta before mixing in the sauce with it so that way my daughter can eat it right away and it is not too hot for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home