Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What do you do when blueberries are 10 pints for $10?

You make blueberry jam and freeze the rest! Talk about AWESOME. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the rest but I had enough for this jam plus a little over a pound to go in the freezer.

Blueberry Lime Jam

4 1/2 cups of blueberries
5 c sugar
1 Tbsp lime zest (about one large lime)
1/3 c lime juice (about two large limes)
packet of fruit pectin

Crush blueberries one layer at a time and combine with pectin in pot. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir in zest and lime juice and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Adjust caps and process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yields six half-pints.

What I liked about this jam: It was SUPER fast. It was ready in lightning time and jelled with no problem. It also made exactly what it said it would...I sterilized six jars and lids and that's exactly what I filled up. I actually had about a 1/2 c leftover that I put in the fridge.
What I disliked about this jam: Nothing. It was so easy. I grated the lime zest and squeezed the juice before I started cooking and it was ready in about fifteen minutes flat.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: Instead of crushing the blueberries, I processed the blueberries in my food processor. I can't help it...I love the thickness of jam but I like my fruit very smooth, so crushing fruit for jam is just not enough. Jelly is too watery and preserves-type jam is too thick. This way, it's perfect. I also love my microplaner for zesting...definitely in my top ten favorite gadgets.
Tastiness factor: OMG. SO good. The lime really adds something to this jam. It's incredible.

Blueberry Muffin Bread


3/4 c milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 c bread flour
3 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/3 c dried blueberries


Add all ingredients except blueberries to machine and select 1.5 lb. loaf size, standard cycle, and light crust. Add blueberries to machine at mix-in signal. Remove from pan after cycle and let cool for one hour before slicing.


What I liked about this recipe: It went with my jam and I needed a bread to give as a gift with my jam.
What I disliked about this recipe: I couldn't use fresh and that was frustrating given the tremendous sale! But I think that fresh would have turned the bread purple and made it so wet that it wouldn't have risen, so I understand the need for dried.
Cool kitchen gadgets: I love my bread machine. Enough said.
Tastiness factor: No idea because it was a gift but it sure smelled good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home