Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ways to use up buttermilk

I have several recipes that I make that call for buttermilk. Yes, I realize that you can make sour milk at home, but I really prefer to use buttermilk when I can and if I am going to the store anyway. And I'm finding that there are lots of recipes that I can make that call for it:

-cakes
-buttermilk bread which is very soft and tender
-banana bread

and...probably the most obvious...buttermilk pancakes! I've had them in restaurants but never made them at home before. I think I'm in love.

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 c all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 c buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Combine egg, milk and oil in a small bowl and whisk. Add milk mixture to dry mixture all at once and whisk until blended. Mixture will be slightly lumpy. Cook in 1/4 cupfuls on a heated griddle until edges are bubbly and flip. Serve warm.

What I liked about this recipe: The pancakes had a fantastic flavor and it made exactly the perfect amount for P and I for breakfast. We even made McK a baby pancakes that she played with and eventually gave to the dogs. We're working on grownup food.
What I disliked about this recipe: Hmm...that they didn't cook themselves? He he he.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I think I mentioned before that I recently purchased a double-burner griddle pan from Calphalon. I have been looking at them a lot over the last few weeks and finally found one on sale at a kitchen store for $49.99. Deal.
Tastiness factor: Very, very good. Loved them.

I also tried a new brunch recipe this weekend...

Three-Cheese Western Omelet

3/4 c mild salsa
1 c artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1 c sour cream

Spread salsa in the bottom of a 10" glass pie plate. Sprinkle artichokes over salsa. Combine cheeses and mix with fork until combined. Top artichokes with cheeses. Blend eggs and sour cream together until smooth and pour over cheeses. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into wedges to serve. Serves six.

What I liked about this recipe: It has a great taste...the artichokes give it a very unique flavor. And it was easy to assemble which is good for lazy Sunday mornings. The thirty minutes that it took to bake, I spent making bacon, toasting bread, making coffee and setting the table.
What I disliked about this recipe: I used a 2.5 quart stoneware casserole dish instead of the pie plate since I didn't have one and it did not work very well. I baked the dish for 45 minutes and it eventually set in the middle, sort of, but was still very liquidy. I am hoping that it will reheat better. I also used salsa verde (tomatillo-based salsa) instead of regular tomato salsa, and it tasted a little funny. And...while I was making it, McKenna decided to DOUSE THE LIVING ROOM WITH CORNSTARCH, so I will always have that as a memory with this dish. By the time I settled down and finished cleaning up the blizzardly mess, the omelet was a tad cool.
Edited on 4/7/08 to add: This omelet heats up WONDERFULLY. I actually liked it better as leftovers than I did the first time! It has been great over the last week reheated on high for 45 seconds.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I used my food processor to shred Monterey Jack since you can't buy it preshredded for some odd reason and also to chop the artichokes. I am feeling the need for a new food processor big time.
Tastiness factor: Very good...but I think it would have come out much better had I used regular salsa and a glass pie plate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home