Monday, March 31, 2008

TEQUILA!

Remember my post from the beginning of the month on cooking with alcohol? Now I can add tequila to my list. I made this slow-cooker recipe for my sister and for P when she was here visiting...put it in after lunch, went shopping, and voila, it was ready when we were hungry. It was GREAT paired with Spanish rice.

Tequila Chicken

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
3/4 c margarita mix **I used the Jose Cuervo pre-made kind
1/4 c tequila **I used the orange-flavored Jose Cuervo
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground cumin
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp water
lime wedges

Combine olive oil, honey, margarita mix, tequila, basil, cayenne and cumin in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Fork holes in the chicken and place in the slow cooker. Top with the olive oil mixture. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken breasts and keep warm in a 200 degree oven. In a separate bowl, combine flour and water until well-blended. Stir mixture into the liquid in the slow cooker and cook uncovered for ten minutes, until the liquid thickens. Add more flour if thicker sauce is desired. Remove chicken from oven and place on platter; cover with sauce. Serve over rice with lime wedges on top.

What I liked about this recipe: Lots and lots of intense strong herb flavors.
What I disliked about this recipe: It called for dried basil instead of fresh, but I'm sure I could have substituted fresh (3 Tbsp worth) if my garden had been up and running at that time. It just so happens that V and I went to buy all my herbs while this was cooking!
Cool kitchen gadgets used: The slow cooker...I LOVE IT.
Tastiness factor: While V and P loved this, it was not my favorite. I just thought it had kind of a earthy taste (but not from the herbs...I can't explain it) and the tequila flavor added to it was not my cup of tea. However, it was highly complimented and it is possible that had I thickened the sauce, it would have been more to my taste. I guess I just wouldn't classify it as a Southwestern dish. But it was an interesting taste, that's for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home