Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"I'm scared to let you cook for me."

That was P's greeting for me tonight...after he cleaned up the kitchen. Hey, I never professed to be a neat freak! He threatened to take away my egg separator tonight. At the very least, I just lost my "egg separator bucket" privileges...the little compartment in the drainer that holds my egg separators after I rinse it. I'll spare you the details of why.

What a day today. I went to one fire and basically wasted my morning estimating the damages...because I found out AFTER I left that this woman failed to pay her last premium. Oops. After setting her kitchen on fire. And when I asked her when she plans to pay it, she was like, "Oh, when we get around to it." Okay. Then, on the way home, I got another fire from this woman who I swear to Zeus is the most unreasonable woman (or at least one of them) that I've dealt with. I'll make this story short. She had a fire at her apartment complex from a little twerp upstairs who was playing with matches and burned the unit down. Again, oops! Anyway, her unit suffered smoke damage, so I offered to put her into a hotel. Since she claimed not to have any money, I offered to bring a check with me for $500 tomorrow to our inspection to help her, which would be an advance towards the rest of the claim. I do that a lot, especially with people that have lost everything they own, but not so much with people that haven't lost a thing! Apparently that wasn't good enough...she didn't have the $84 for one night in a hotel. So I offered to find a hotel that will direct bill me (and there aren't many), and after I did, basically eliminating the need for the advance, she actually told me that she still wanted the money because "she was broke and wanted to get what she was entitled to". Uh....exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Since when is a homeowner's policy a personal financing policy? Ha...I guess since it was also deemed a maintenance and redecorating policy! I'm sure tomorrow's inspection will be quite interesting. At least I had a nice lunch. My cause and origin investigator, G, took me out to lunch at Chili's and we had an nice long visit. I so love working with him. We make such a good team!

We watched Secret Window last night, so off I went to Blockbuster today in search of two more movies I haven't seen. I've been writing down titles as I think of them or as I come across them, and I've compiled a very long list so far. Definitely enough to keep us busy for a while. Secret Window was good. I don't want to say anything to give away the ending, but it was VERY surprising and very much Stephen King, if you get my drift. You have to wonder about a man who thinks up stuff like that. Anyway, if you like suspense, rent it...it's good. I rented Jersey Girl and The Human Stain today, so we'll see how those are.

Celestial Dragon went very well with the movie last night, and now that I got past the backstitching of the head (which I think is the hardest part), it's going along a little smoother. There's this net backstitching pattern in Victorian gold blending filament that goes over the dragon's body, but I think I'm going to leave that until the end, right before the beading. You never know how many years it might be until I get to that part of the pattern! I think I'm going to finish up Celestial Dragon tonight, so hopefully I'll have a picture posted soon.

The Daily Dirt!

1. What grade are you in? Okay, quite obviously I am not in high school anymore. But, if you were to classify the 'kids' in my office as in high school grades, I would be a junior. I know what I'm doing, but there are still other people in my office that have been around longer and know a little more, even though I'm the strongest adjuster in my office skillwise.
2. Which clique do you belong to? I don't really know what clique I belonged to when I was in high school...I'm not sure there was a name for us. Maybe the nerds? The girls and guys I hung out with in high school, for the most part, were overachievers like me, heavy into activities, always striving to be better than the rest and to make that college application whiter and brighter than snow. I think all the girls in my little group were in the top 50 in our class at least.
3. Give a high school label for yourself. (ex. Class Clown, Most Likely to Succeed, Drama Queen) Hmm. Again, not sure that there is a label for it, but do you remember that girl that was into everything in high school? Every club, sports, friends with everyone, worked, and had great grades? Yeah, that was me. I guess maybe I was the Nerd/Team Player?
4. What are your extra-curricular activities? Get ready to be tired just reading this. My senior year, the year I was the heaviest into activities, I was editor-in-chief of our school newspaper, captain of my swim team, president of Students Against Driving Drunk, in Anchor Club, Spanish Club, and National Honors Society, and I worked as a lifeguard at the YWCA. All that while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. And that was just my senior year. It's a miracle I didn't contract mono with as run-down as I was! In years before that, I also played volleyball and softball...I only didn't my senior year because I wanted to concentrate heavily on my schoolwork to ensure I got into a good school and also...oh, yeah, because I was tired of doing sports year-round! And...I wanted to have a little fun, which I did. Seventeen was still my best year!
5. Who is your most influential teacher? Her name was Mrs. Willard. She was an English teacher at my school (whom I never had the privelege of being taught by for English) who also doubled as my journalism advisor. She was the one who inspired me to major in journalism...and also who recommended that I go to Carolina for college since they have such a great journalism and mass communication department.


Chick Chat!

1. Favorite Animal? I really have this thing for dolphins, but dogs are my favorite for sure.
2. What makes the best pet (kids don't count!)? Dogs!
3. If you were an animal, what would you be? A cat. And a prissy one at that.
4. What are your pets' names? Well-covered territory, but in case anyone missed it, they are Katie, Simon, Gabrielle, Moira and Taylor.
5. Ever called your child a 'Monkey Butt' or another animal name? I don't have any kids, but I call my dog Katie "Pumpkin Head" and Simon "Simon-bug". How's that?

Tuesday Twosome...yet another meme on summer! (not that I mind)

1. What two things are you going to miss the most about summer? Wearing flip flops and sandals, and going to the gym in my workout clothes with nothing on over them. I will also miss the Ice Wizard...I got my last slush last night! (Passion Fruit)
2. What two things annoyed you the most about summer? The heat and the mosquitos.
3. Name two memorable moments from this past summer. Getting my tattoo redone (which took several grueling hours) and buying my first Dooney handbag.
4. Did you go on vacation this summer and if so, where? Yes...a short trip to Lake Palestine. See August archives for the pictures.
5. Who has more fun during summer: A child or an adult? And why? A child, definitely. At least a child can really kick back and enjoy every bit of summer...adults still have to work every day!

And lastly, TV Tuesday...

1. When you were a kid what was (or is if you're still a kid) your favorite show? I really loved The Brady Bunch.
2. What is the silliest kids' show you've ever seen? (You can use stupidest, most outrageous, worst, etc if you prefer!) Not sure if you would consider it a kids' show, but I think South Park doubles as the silliest AND the stupidest show I've ever seen.
3. If you could be any character in a kids' show (past or present) who would you be? Why? Wonder Woman. She rocked! I even had Wonder Woman Underoos when I was a kid.
~Bonus~ This one is kind of for the adults and parents out there. Do you feel kids shows have changed for the better or worse since you were a kid? I think they have gotten much better as far as quality...the plots are more interesting.

Off I go!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica,

Celestial Dragon is beautiful. I've been looking at your works in progress for years, and you've been a great inspiration to me. I stitch too, and I have just begun working on linen. I have a question, and thought that you might be able to answer it, or lead me to the information I need. I'll be mail ordering the fabric, as I have no local stores. The chart calls for white 32 ct.Wichelt linen. When I look at linen online, along with the count and the color, they have what I guess is a type, such as Belfast or Cashel. Does this make a difference? Thanks for your help, and your years of silent support and encouragment.

Susan
atanchor@aol.com

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home