Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

I literally feel like I've been hit by a truck. I remember every time I work legs why I don't like to do them...because I'm in pain for days afterwards. My legs are so incredibly sore. My butt hurts. I even feel it in my calves. Ow! Why did I get up out of bed? Someone, please tell me!

Another reason why I'm so tired is because I stayed up until 2 am watching The Passion of the Christ. Hm. I'm not really sure what to say about it yet. I guess I'm still kind of taking it in and digesting it. Compared to other Jesus tales, this one did get going rather quickly, and the Aramaic used did make it feel authentic, but it was a gory, bloody mess. It was much more awful than I ever anticipated it would be. I know people reading this are probably thinking, "Well, the actual crucifixion was..." and I know it was. Crucifixion is a horrible way to die! I did cry several times through the movie. It invokes a lot of emotion and is very sad. I wish that it had had a little more dialogue in it, but even as it was, there is no way that I could have stitched during this movie even if it had been in English. It was riveting. I don't know that I could say that I recommend it. I know for myself, I'm glad that I rented it before I purchased it, because it's not a movie that I care to see again. Once is quite enough. And in closing? I have just two words to sum up how I felt afterwards, as I was lying in bed waiting to fall asleep. People suck. People do some really awful, awful things. But Christ knew that...that's the point of the movie.

I'm feeling a little better emotionally than I was yesterday. Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. Like anything else, it'll just take time. My husband said when I get to the point where I can eat what I want in public without worrying about what anyone says about it, then I'll know I've recovered fully. Until then, I'll just keep on keeping on.

I don't have much to say today. I have a nice quiet office day ahead of me. Nothing scheduled. I have a moderate amount of work to get accomplished, but nothing to get in a twist about. If I go to the gym tonight, it's going to be a light workout. It hurts to walk to the back door to let my dogs out. I was so careful too to cut my weights back...

Meme time. I'll start with the Wednesday Matinee since coincidentally, the first question pertains to the movie I watched last night.

1. What are your thoughts about Hollywood making money on the life of Jesus? Conceptually, it's no different really than a movie making money on any other historical character in time, and it's not like this is the first Jesus movie that has ever come out. There are others. There is Jesus of Nazareth and there was that Jesus movie on tv a few years ago. There's even that other one, The Last Temptation of Christ. The Passion of the Christ is not the first movie about Jesus that has come out and been successful and it's not the last. It was pretty obvious from watching the movie that Mel Gibson (a devout Catholic, mind you) went to great lengths to make sure that this movie got people's attention, and it sure did. Sometimes the only way to reach a lot of people is through something like this, and the more controversy surrounding the movie, the more people wanted to see it. Visual imagery sometimes sticks better in people's minds than any description of an event, no matter how many times you hear it described to you.
2. What's your favorite movie set in "historical" times (medieval, Greek, Roman, Victorian, etc)? It's a four-way tie between Braveheart, Gladiator, Gone With The Wind and The Patriot. I love all four of those, especially for the little details that make it seem so historical.
3. What's your favorite movie based on a true story? Apollo 13.

Second, Homework. Fortunately, my house is actually staying pretty clean, although it needs to be vaccuumed yet again.

Do you have a "junk closet"? "Junk drawer"? A junk room? Where do you stick stuff that has no other designated home? Does it bother you, or is it a case of "out of sight, out of mind"? Snap a picture of your catch-all space, if you're brave.

Oh, I'm brave. Our catch-all space is our workout room. Ever since we joined a gym, that room has kind of gone back to being our dumping ground again. It's not too messy, but as you can see from the picture, it's where our vacuum goes, our ironing board, etcetera. We always keep the door closed so the cats don't scratch up the home gym, and thus anything we want hidden from sight goes in there.



Third, a new meme that I found from visiting someone else's blog...it's called What's On...Right now?

What's on your 'bathroom counter' right now? Two toothbrushes, toothpaste, a toothbrush holder that we never use, my contact lens case, hairbrushes, scrunchies, hair gel (P's, not mine), floss, numerous bottles of lotion, anti-bacterial hand soap, and a pair of tweezers. Exciting stuff.

And last but not least, the Daily Dirt...on teeth!

1. Do/Did you have braces? Yes. For about three years. Which I think in today's orthodontic age is an eternity. I got my first retainer when I was in third grade, braces in fifth grade, braces off in eighth grade, and I stopped wearing my retainer (unfortunately!) my freshman year in high school. I earned my teeth, that's for sure!
2. Have you ever had any teeth removed? Yes. I think I had two oral surgeries to have teeth removed. My wisdom teeth were removed when I was eleven.
3. Count your fillings. There are too many to count. I have very thin enamel and am very susceptible to cavities. There are six that I can actually see that were filled with silver fillings, but I know I have at least five or six that were filled with white and a couple of veneers.
4. What's your daily oral hygiene routine? I brush every morning and every evening, and I floss every other day.
5. If you could have any celebrity's teeth, whose would you have and why? I don't know about her teeth, but Julia Roberts' smile is just adorable!

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for reading and I'll keep you posted. By the way, I have had NO response from the Elephant Bar as of today. Tsk tsk. Shame on them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home