Sunday, August 29, 2004

And then there was light...

Isn't it amazing what a difference a lamp will make to a room? We stopped by Home Depot last night on the way home from dinner, and I found a really nice frosted crackle glass lamp that is kind of lantern-like rather than a straight desk lamp. My old desk lamp would get so unbelievably hot that I finally got to the point where I didn't even want to turn it on, forget even touching it. I burned the inside of my arm one time when I wasn't paying attention. This one is a three-way lamp, it's much cooler to the touch, it shines out rather than down, and I put a really nice soft pink bulb in it. It reflects off the lavender walls of my office and just giving the whole room a warm and cozy feel. My old lamp is going to go up to my cube at my office on Tuesday. Here's a picture of the new one!



I just love shopping. We went to
Wal-Mart too and I picked up some more French manicure guides for my fingernails, a new enamel color (turquoise opal), some cushioned seperator thingies for my toes for pedicures, and a lightning fast drying top coat. It promises to dry nails in thirty seconds. I'll let you all know if it works. The French manicure I did this week on my fingernails was quite a hit. My boss complimented me on them in our meeting, my friend S said they looked great, and my friend T who came over to stitch Friday even asked if they were fake since they look professionally done! I love that. Manicures, pedicures, and hand/foot care is starting to be a nice little hobby of mine. I am contemplating though seeing a podiatrist for my feet problems. I'm trying with the booties and the creams and the rough stones, but it's just not helping very much. I think it might be time to get some professional help from a doctor...or at least, some professional creams. I'm just tired of my feet being so cracked and rough all the time, and I refuse to a) wear shoes around the house or b) stop wearing sandals.

Anyway, a pedicure and manicure is on tap for this afternoon...both of the ones I have right now are starting to chip. It never ceases to amaze me how much longer a pedicure lasts than a manicure, but it shouldn't surprise me as much as I use my hands every day! I did make it to the gym yesterday...back/biceps...and today I'd like to get a handle on my laundry and hit the gym again for legs. I also need to find that Orlando flight (grrr) and then I can stitch to my heart's content. P went down to the lake with his friends to practice shooting his bow and gun (hunting season approacheth) so I've got the house all to myself. Yay!


I finally was able to get Rain Forest Afghan's time completed. It is really hard to stitch on an afghan in the summer...that's why it took so long. But it's done now! I'm really enjoying my rotation. I'm kind of loosening things up and just kind of stitching on whatever I want. Having this blog to kind of keep track of which ones I'm working on and my webpage with my WIPs is helping too to keep it all straight in my head. I'm so enjoying it!

First up, the
Daily Dirt . I think I've already answered some of these questions before or at least alluded to them, but that's okay.

1. What kind of music do you listen to? I love 1980s and 1970s music...classic rock, big hair bands, mainstream top 40. I also like New Age like Enya.
2. What kind of music do you hate? Rap. I hate it. It just gives me a headache.
3. What concerts have you been to? I have been to a total of three concerts in my lifetime, and I can't believe I'm posting this in public, but we were all that age once. I saw New Kids on the Block when I was thirteen with my best friend S. I think Tiffany opened for them, but I can't remember for sure. And in college, I saw Bryan Adams with my boyfriend T and Jimmy Buffett with my sister V and her friend L. I'm not a huge concert fan because crowds make me so nervous.
4. Do you like punk? Yes, for the most part. I really like the Cure, Blondie, Green Day and No Doubt.
5. Do you hate pop? I really don't like what is considered to be adult contemporary, but I wouldn't say that I hate pop.


Second (and last since the Sunday Brunch is not updated yet again) is the Weekly Bit...

At the end of each summer there's always a lot to do. Buy clothes and supplies for school, empty the kiddie pool and put it away for the winter, cover up the grill and put away your bathing suit. What kinds of rituals do you do at each summer's end? Do you go to the pool, beach, lake...one last time? Do you spend as much time in the sun enjoying it before it's over? Are you happy or sad to see summer end?What was the best part of this past summer for you? What are you preparing for next? Going back to school? Work? Extra TidBit...Watch any good movies this summer? What was your favorite film this summer? Did you see it in the theater? Or did you rent it? A Bit of Summer Romance? Have you ever had a summer fling? Do tell.

Since I don't have children, summer really doesn't have a definite end for me as it did when I was in school, and in Dallas, summer really does just kind of run into fall, which only lasts for a few short weeks until winter swoops in. It really doesn't start significantly cooling off to where jeans are necessary until about early November, and even then, there may be a few days here and there where it is warm enough outside to wear shorts. My husband's favorite expression about Dallas is that if you don't like the weather here, wait about five minutes and it'll change. That's SO true. It is not uncommon at all in December for us to be bundled up in jeans and jackets one weekend and in t-shirts and shorts the next weekend. At any rate, there really aren't any significant summer rituals that I have, although I do make sure the last few weeks to make my stops at the Ice Wizard since it's only open in the summers. Usually by the end of the summer, I am really ready to see summer end because of the heat and see fall and winter arrive, even though our fall is very short-lived. I'm ready for some cooler weather, and I'm ready to start wearing my long-sleeved tops that have been hanging in my closet all summer long. I think this winter I'm going to splurge finally and buy a really nice coat to wear. Last winter, I bought a cheapie $30 coat at Costco to wear around since my weight wasn't quite settled yet, but now that it is and I'm in a size that I know I can maintain and that I have accepted is my size, I feel like it's time to buy a nice winter coat. I'll probably start looking in the catalogs to get an idea of what I want and then by the time the coats all come out, I'll be ready to buy. The best part of this summer for me was going to the lake with my dogs the week before last. That was the best for sure. I really enjoyed that and next time we're going to make it a longer and better visit. Pretty much what I'm preparing for now is what is certain to be the busiest fire season yet for me. I'm the lone ranger right now on the fire team, and C and whoever agrees to be the other fire adjuster will certainly need a lot of training. It's going to be a busy fall and winter since we're so short-handed at the office. My favorite film this summer was EuroTrip. I just thought it was hysterical! I definitely want to get that on DVD at some point. I did have a summer romance one summer. My boyfriend at the time at the end of my junior year in high school, J, went away to work at a summer camp for the entire summer, and we agreed that we would see other people for the summer, write letters, and pick back up in the fall when he got back. I started seeing T, and our agreement was that it would just be a summer thing and that we wanted to have fun. He knew all about J and since he was going off to college in the fall, well, it seemed like a great arrangement to us both! Turns out J never wrote me any letters...except one at the beginning of August to let me know that his family was moving away and he wasn't coming back to our high school, but by that point, it was too late, because I had decided that T was a much better choice and we had fallen in love! That was a great summer. Like I said in a prior journal entry, seventeen was a GREAT year for me! Sometimes I wish I could live it all over again!

Okay, I guess that's it for today. I better get moving if I want to be productive. I hope everyone has a great Sunday and enjoys what little bits are left of their weekends!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Um, thanks(?) for reminding me I haven't looked at, much less touched my Rainforest afghan in years. I think we started ours at around the same time. Sigh. Guilt, guilt, guilt.

9:33 PM  
Blogger The Bookworm said...

Hi Erica, thanks for playing the weekly bit :) you are like me, I'm going to splurge on a really nice winter coat this year...I've been looking for one already! Take care hun :)

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home