Friday, August 12, 2005

Au revoir, old kitchen; bonjour, new kitchen!

When we woke up today, I had a honey-do list all set for P to work on today while I moved things back into the kitchen.

He suggested we go shopping instead. Hey, I can do that! I have a shopping list TWICE as long as the honey-do list!

So with coupons in hand, we hit Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, Michael's and Kohl's.

What a fun day. We bought a ton of kitchen stuff that we have been waiting to buy until we got our new kitchen...it was awesome. And we got some great deals with our coupons and with the sales. We bought a new flatware set, a new cutlery set, a toaster, seperator bins for our new flatware, a seven-piece canister set, a new dish rack, black and white dishtowels, black oven mitts, a new cookie sheet set, ceramic trivets for the counters, bins for dog food to put in the pantry, and (this the most fun) art for our walls in the kitchen. I swear, I feel like I'm moving into a new house!

We had decided when we picked our color scheme for the kitchen that we would hang black and white prints and art on the wall, but would wait to decide on a theme until we saw what was out there. It turned out to be "Paris and all things French", a theme I never would have anticipated, but it was either that or really fat chefs or black and white florals. We picked up three black and white photographs of city scenes in Paris and some inexpensive frames at Target, some painted city scene plaques at Michael's, and two "floating" framed wine labels worded in French. It's all very cool, and I can't wait to see what it looks like all hung up.

The two things that I am having QUITE a time with finding are a chrome breadbox and a new kitchen rug. The breadbox I am going to check one more place (Lowe's tomorrow) and the rug...well, I'm not sure yet what we're going to do on that one, but none of the places we looked today had a decent selection of kitchen rugs, as hard as that is to believe.

So...no work today on the house. We shopped instead. While that was still fun, we have a busy day tomorrow. My big goals for the end of the day tomorrow are to get the rest of the kitchen moved back in, finish the dresser and move it into the nursery, organize the nursery a tad, move the dining room table into the garage and make a decision on what we are going to do with it (I have a feeling it's beyond saving thanks to Taylor the destructor), and get the kitchen and utility rooms ready for flooring on Monday. We are also going to hit Lowe's, buy our baseboards, and hopefully get it painted, but we'll see how tomorrow goes.

I'm slowly falling in love with my house all over again. Ah, the romance of Paris.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica,
It sounds wonderful, I can't wait to see the pictures.
Fiona

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love French-y art in the kitchen. I can't wait to see the pictures. Do you have a Linens N Things near you? They have some kitchen rugs.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home