Friday, August 05, 2005

The eve of my very first yard sale

I've never had a garage sale or a yard sale before, so this is going to be quite an adventure. I remember my parents having a garage sale when I was young, but I must have been around seven because I don't remember it very clearly.

P is kind of in the same boat....his parents are packrats, so he never has had a garage sale either.

But I think we are ready. We have everything labeled except for the clothes, and our plan for the clothes is to sort them onto sheets tomorrow labeled 50 cents, $1 and $2. Everything is sorted according to price and bagged up as much as possible. We have $40 in quarters, singles, fives and tens in a box to make change. Our signs are already up advertising that we are having our sale tomorrow from 9 to 3. All three vehicles are crammed into the driveway in the back. And even better, there are FOUR other garage sales going on in our neighborhood tomorrow, so we should get some excellent traffic.

If we clear $250 tomorrow, I'll be ecstatic. I'll settle for at least unloading the big items. If I had to pick one item that I want to get rid of no matter what, it would be our old electric range. But one thing is for certain...NOTHING is coming back into the house. After we wrap up the sale in the afternoon, we're putting everything in the cars to take it down to my inlaws on Sunday to contribute to THEIR garage sale. It's either that or Goodwill.

Anyway, wish us luck...this money is going straight to our remodeling budget. Everything is really starting to come together. L and I came to blows again today (this time over the windows) and we ended up hiring another contractor for those, and thank God, he's going to order the windows on Monday. They should be here the following week. L's guys will be here all week long doing the cabinetry and countertops. And next Monday and Tuesday we are having our floors installed. After that, we just have to move everything back into its correct place, do our baseboards, and then the last final step will be to call the carpet cleaning guys to come do our carpets and the exterminator to spray for critters.

Our kitchen looks like a moving truck right now with all the boxes and stuff. It's nice that we are at least putting the space to good use.

The pregnancy is going fine although more than a few people have commented that it looks like the baby is growing exponentially, including me. My belly is just getting bigger and rounder every day. And I decided tonight at Target that they really should have a sign up above the fitting room entrance prohibiting women with child from trying on clothes...it can be very detrimental for your mental health! The baby is moving a lot, and it's getting harder and harder every day to move faster. P is starting to see what I was talking about earlier this summer. I'm so relieved that the heavy painting and work is done. After the house is finished, I'm spending more than a few weekends relaxing and shopping, that's for sure.

Time for bed...we have a big day tomorrow! I'll come back tomorrow night and post with how the sale went. Pray that we get a lot of people that just LOVE my taste and want our junk!

And let me ask this question...just how did P and I accumulate SIX keyboards in the nine years that we have been together?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 Keyboards?! :) Good luck with the sale! I hope you manage to get rid of all the big stuff and hit your goal, or at least get pretty close to it! I can't wait until Monday to check in to see how it went! Have a great weekend!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home