Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My breakdown and the rescue

Okay, so I had my first REALLY bad day. P came home from work to find me running around in the backyard, naked, screaming at the neighbors in the alley and squirting them with breast milk.

Just kidding. Made you laugh though, right? That's what P said he was going to tell his coworkers happened yesterday, and it made ME laugh so hard this morning I told him I was going to write it in my blog.

The truth of what really happened though is that McKenna woke up at 7:30 am yesterday and would NOT go to sleep...at all. I'm serious. Other than a few small naps here and there, she did not fall asleep for longer than ten minutes until about 7 pm when P got home from work.

And when he got home, he found us both in tears! Both from frustration and exhaustion. I hadn't slept much Sunday night either, so to have a day where I could NOT lay down and nap when she napped was just the last straw. I was doubting my sanity, my decision to procreate, and my abilities as a mother, and all I could hear ringing in my head was my mother saying, "I hope you have ten JUST LIKE YOU when you grow up."

But P saved the day. (I'm sure he's grinning right now reading this.) His solution was to immediately take McKenna into the other room and order me to go to sleep. I told him to wake me up for feedings, direction which he ignored and let me sleep for six hours, opting instead to give her the precious expressed milk that I was keeping in the refrigerator. Ah, that six hours of sleep was pure bliss. When I woke up, all was happy again and you know why?

THIS IS WHY!!!!!! The best baby invention EVER! And the best $50 I have spent YET!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

She LOVES this Baby Papasan. Not only did I get to sleep for those six hours, but when I took over the night shift, I was able to feed her AND put her down to sleep in it WITHOUT holding her in my arms. I woke up this morning able to feel my fingers again. It was heaven.

And today we had our longest outing yet today, just her and I! She had her two week check up with the pediatrician, then we were sent over to the hospital to have a newborn blood screen done. It was VERY weird to be there knowing that the last time I was there at admitting, I was pregnant. Then, since the drama of getting her first vaccination tired her out, I took her to the post office, Michael's and now we're home.

And I'm still alive! There's hope yet!


Blogger Margaret said...

{{HUG}} Those days happen, and if baby refuses to nap, and you really need one, just lay down and nurse her until you both fall asleep. Trust me, it keeps your sanity!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

YAY for the baby papazan!!! I'm glad that you got some sleep finally. :-)

5:05 AM  
Blogger natty68 said...

You're doing wonderfully as a new mum :) And Mckenna looks so happy in that papazan :)


5:06 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Yay for P, and for the papasan!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home