Friday, November 18, 2005

Thank God it's Friday

First of all, thank you SO much for all the comments in my blog. It really helps to hear that what I'm going through is normal and that it won't last forever.

Last night was a little better...basically because I didn't waste time this time. She slept for about two hours in the bassinette, wouldn't go back down in it, I tried the car seat, didn't work, so I just grabbed my pillow and got comfortable on the couch. I got more sleep, she got more sleep, and I woke up this morning only looking slightly tired instead of looking like I had been hit by a stick in both eyes. I'm getting better at totally relaxing when I'm holding her and sleep is coming easier.

I will try some more of the suggestions that were offered, but she doesn't like being swaddled like a burrito. I don't know why. I have tried it a bunch of different ways, I've bought the swaddling blankets that have Velcro, and she just doesn't like it. She likes to have her arms free and keeps her hands by her face, and is quite a kicker (as I learned from her Mia Hamm-like kicks in utero to my ribs). I try to wrap her up as tight as I can, but it usually just makes her more upset.

But we're hanging in there. Today has been a very pleasant day so far...mostly consisting of me and her just lying on the couch all day, and that's just fine with me. P will be off work this weekend and I can get some things done. I did give her another bath today and she's all pretty and sweet-smelling again. We're going to a friend's house for pizza tonight and I already have a cute footed-sleeper picked out to dress her in since the temps are dropping here.

I did start pumping last night and it's going well so far, although I'm not getting as much as I'd like just yet. I got a third of an ounce last night after I fed her and then an ounce this morning, and I'm going to pump again after I nurse her next. I'm getting the hang of it, even if I am only getting just enough to lighten a cup of espresso.

Stay tuned!

4 Comments:

Blogger WhizGidget said...

YAY for sleep!

Have you tried burrito wrapping her and holding/snuggling her to you and cooing at her - during awake times?

Maybe if she has a positive feel for it, then it might have a chance at working. And I would wrap DD#2, but leave her arms a little loose so that if she wanted to wiggle them out, it wasn't that hard.

Here's to the two of you sleeping well this weekend! And you're doing great...

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've heard it before, but it bears repeating, especially when you're staring at that third of an ounce and wondering why more won't come out... How much you pump has NO correlation to how much milk you have. Your baby is much more efficient at getting milk out than a pump, and there is always milk in there for your baby. Make sure to have a pic of your baby to look at while pumping, or you could try pumping one side while she's nursing on the other.

Also some people just don't respond well to a pump. I'm one of them. The most I've ever pumped at one sitting was 3 oz (usually much less), and that was only because DS slept longer than normal and I needed to relieve the pressure.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Everything sounds normal to me. Each child is different, and every parent needs to figure out what works for their baby. I know for me, I'd nurse my kids to sleep lying on the couch, and often fall asleep myself, since I found nursing very relaxing! I'm glad you're having luck pumping, since I never did and rapidly gave the idea up altogether. Keep us posted and most importantly have fun!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all babies like being swaddled. Like with everything else, it all depends on the baby. What works for one - or even most - won't necessarily work for yours and it doesn't mean anything more than that we are all different from birth. It's just trial and error until you find what works. I had four sons, two of which were twins, and not one thing worked 100% with all of them.

If she doesn't like swaddling, you won't be able to convert her to it. This stage will pass and you'll get new things to wonder about, like the growth spurt babies go through around 6 weeks when they tend to get pretty fussy and demanding. Sometimes, all you can do is ride it out until it passes.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home