Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Is biggish a word?

What another whirlwind day...very emotional.

I slept VERY badly last night. After dinner, I had really bad nausea and just did NOT feel right...and she was just moving all around and kicking me, squirming, etcetera. I took a nap and woke up around 1 am to eat a snack and go back to bed for real. All night long, my stomach gurgled and moved around and made noises, and then about 3:30, a doozy of a contraction woke me up out of a dead sleep. But it was the only one.

I woke up this morning SURE today was the day, but apparently not. I went to my doctor's appointment, waited for 45 minutes to see her, and for her to tell me that I am still 1 cm dilated (but a loose 1 cm) and 50% effaced, my blood pressure has gone down to a smooth 123/80, and there is no protein in my urine. However, the only cause for alarm was my baby who is "biggish" according to her (is biggish even a word?) and my platelet level in my blood which was low.

She sent me over to Labor and Delivery to be put on the monitor and have bloodwork done, with the instructions that they would call her, and she would make the decision whether or not I would deliver today. I thought that it would be a very short visit, but I was there for three hours while she "thought about it". Finally she sent me home with strict bedrest orders and an induction date of November 10 at 6 am. And the hospital took my blood pressure at a very nice 106/60, so obviously the bedrest is doing what they want it ankles and feet haven't looked this slender since I got pregnant.

So that's the scoop. McKenna is coming soon. Just not as soon as I would have liked. It was quite a disappointment, I admit...especially since she really gave me the idea on Monday that this week might be the week...and then again today that today might be the day. But she's been served her eviction notice...and I'll be seeing what I can do to make her want to enter the world a little early.

The good thing is that my office is being SO AWESOME about it all. If they wanted to be total jerks, they really could make me start taking my sick time now, but nope, they are going to let me work from home on my bed so I can save my sick time for when my daughter is here. I am SO grateful to them. They really have no idea. I'm going to come back in January with the best attitude they have ever seen as a thank you to them for being SO nice about all of this. I will never call my boss K a bad name ever again.

So, I've got seven full days left. One week before I'm a mom, if not less. I plan on spending it resting, watching television, scrapbooking, working, folding baby clothes, and on here on the internet.

That's all I've got for today. Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

E, inductions can be *hard.* In many pregnancies, early labor can start 24-48 hrs (if not days) before you even know you're in your body gradually undergoes many of the changes needed to deliver the baby.

With induction, your body is slammed into labor all at once. Contractions can be more painful and the entire situation becomes more stressful for you and the baby. C-section rates are higher for inductions (although that might be because of WHY the induction is necessary and not the induction itself).

Of course, some inductions go smooth as silk.

And ultimately, what's most important is a healthy baby girl and a healthy you!

Good luck!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Erica, best of luck. I can't wait to "meet" your daughter. I was induced with both of my babies and while labor came quick, I was made very comfortable. Don't worry about anything and who knows, McKenna may just decide to come before the week is over. :)

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Phyllis said...

November 10th is a GREAT birthdate!! It's my 21st Wedding Anniversary!!!
I know that you are very anxious-- it will all be over very shortly, and you will be holding your 'big' little girl!!
Erica-- you're going to be such a great mom!!! Now get to stitching on that Noah's Sub!! I really want to see it hanging in McKenna's nursery!!!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Nov. 10 is the Marine Corps Birthday...ooooorah! LOL

Hang in there hun. I know it's hard. I had my kiddo on Nov 8....21 years ago. Worst 2 weeks of my life were the 2 weeks before he was born.

9:53 PM  
Blogger WhizGidget said...

Hang in there E... hopefully McKenna will come early and avoid the induction route. It *is* hard, but not if they gradually ease the pitocin up.

My first was an induction, and it was hard, but that was because of the nurse trying to push me along really fast - my pitocin rates were higher than they should have been when the first night ended.

Yes, first night - DD#1 was stubborn (still is) about coming out. And even still, she managed to do it on her own terms.

Don't be a hero - when they offer the pain drugs, seriously consider them.

You're going to be fine. McKenna's going to be beautiful. And you're all going to be happy. Tired and sleepless, but happy.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Jill in CA said...

(((((Erica))))) Been there; I didn't want to be induced but reluctantly agreed to an induction date. DS was born three days before it (but 8 days after the due date, hence the scheduling of the induction). I'm sure that, if she comes on her own or is coerced, it will all be fine! I'm so glad your work is being great; you sure do deserve it after all the hard work you've given them. Best of luck for the labor/delivery and enjoy your last few moments of peace!

8:54 AM  
Blogger blackcat said...

Well, you know I'm excited! I'm a November baby as well, so I think it's awesome McKenna and I will share the same month! Not to mention she's a Fall baby, which is very cool.

Hang in there, it'll be anytime now!:D


2:48 PM  
Blogger Sher said...

Erica, Hang in there. I had pre-eclampsia (I posted a reply in JPC for you) and they induced my labor with DS. I started at ground zero too. DS hadn't even dropped, no dilation, zip, nada. My labor wasn't that bad and I had him 14 hours later. Now granted, not everyone does well on pitocin but I did great considering he was my first child ever. The night shift nurses were amazed when they came to work the next day (they had left the morning before as i was being prepared to be induced) and I had already had DS.

Good luck!!!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home