Thursday, November 03, 2005

Is this it? Is this not it?

Before everyone starts posting comments about how fake labor can happen, Braxton Hicks, blah blah blah, I am aware that my body goes through a long transition period to get ready for the big event. I've read the books.

But how do you know when it's really the real thing?

I've been having contractions on and off today since about 3:30 pm. Not with enough regularity to cause me to call the doctor, and not with enough intensity to make me double over in pain and cry for P to take me to the hospital, but they are uncomfortable and I'm just kind of sitting here thinking about how much they are bothering me. I've been timing them and they just aren't very frequent.

But what IS happening is that I feel like I'm about to start the rag any minute. I rather enjoyed NOT having that feeling for the last nine months, and I'm totally ready for the discomfort to start when it IS time, but how do I know? How do I really know?


I've got some other signs that labor is on the way, and I'll save them since they are graphic.

I don't relish running over to Labor and Delivery for them to put me on the monitors and then send me home, again, with McK still inside me and not in my arms. The nurses over there already think I'm a basketcase after the episode yesterday.

I finally gave in a little while ago and popped some Tylenol. I have a feeling this could be a long night.

And, possibly day tomorrow. I've worked my little tushie off this week getting ALL my stuff done JUST IN CASE, and now the end result is that I have nothing to do and only two hours left for tomorrow to log in for a full week. If I don't go into labor tonight, I'll be sitting on my bed tomorrow doing nothing but scrapbooking and watching movies.

I'm ready. P's ready. Both of our bosses are on standby. All the clothes are washed. My bags are packed. The champagne and sparkling apple cider are chilling. Come on, McKenna, let's GO already!

Can you tell I'm not a patient person? This would have been SO much easier had the ultrasound tech not told me on Tuesday how big she was going to be and that her lungs were fully mature.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Not sure, but it sounds like my early labour. Not quite regular, not really painful. In fact I kind of ignored it for a few hours, and went to bed. Water broke at 6 in the morning. So *then* I went to hospital :)

Sounds like it's close, anyway. Fingers crossed for you and McKenna.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

It certainly sounds pretty close! Good luck to you and McK! (And P!)

5:14 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

An ultrasound tech told you her lungs were mature?

Eh?

Um, that's not possible. It's been studied as to how it would be possible, but as of yet it's just not. Amnio = yes. U/s = no. Wacky.

My water just broke with Katie - no labor at all. HIwever, the comments to this entry http://www.misszoot.com/2005/10/should_i_just_start_titling_ev.php are very helpful.

Enjoy your light reading!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

You will know!! If theres any doubt you aren't!! I am waiting imaptiently too!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm another one in the "you'll know" camp. My water never gushed either, just a trickle every now and then while baby was moving his way down.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crossing fingers for ya!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home