Monday, February 13, 2006

White gold...down the drain?

Last Wednesday when P picked up McK at school, their report that they sent home with her said that she drank 2 oz of her milk at midday and then "all" at her last meal. I always send three 6 oz bottles of milk, and I seriously doubt that she drank 10 ounces at one sitting, but all bottles came home empty.

So where did the milk go?

I had given her school express instructions that if she did not finish a bottle, they were to cap it and refrigerate it for the next feeding. The lady that I told that to was like, "Okay, fine."

So today, I ask them, "what are you doing with my milk?"

To my HORROR, they tell me that they are DUMPING IT DOWN THE DRAIN!?!?!?!?!

They quickly told me that they have to by law and that state law in Texas requires that any open container of formula or breast milk must be used or discarded within one hour after taking it out of the refrigerator. Okay. I have yet to find this law on the internet.

But, no harm. I'm going to pretend like I never heard them say that and just tell myself that she drank all my milk.

Guess what they are getting tomorrow? Instead of three six-ounce bottles, they will get one six-ounce bottle and four three-ounce bottles.

So there. I can play the milk game better than they can! Nyah!

And by the way, we are all feeling much better, although the princess did not have a happy weekend at ALL. I think her antibiotics bother her.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica, we were told this by our pediatrician, too...to discard unused breast milk or formula. Especially if it's an unfinished bottle, because saliva (and bacteria) do get in the bottle when baby is drinking. So when it sits...even refrigerated, some bacteria can multiply quickly.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Shalini said...

Argh...How very frustrating this is.

I remember I once forgot 2 bottles of breast milk at a daycare I was leaving DS at for a couple of hours. I later called to make sure they refrigerate it. They never did. I was so upset I never went back there again!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Trinabelle said...

Definitely frustrating, but it is the safest thing for the daycare to do for McKenna's health.

The smaller bottles might be just the thing to help stretch your supply of breastmilk.

Everything I've read and discussed with our pediatricians have followed these guidelines:

Discard refrigerated milk after 5 days. Discard frozen milk after 3-4 months. Discard thawed milk if not used within 24 hours. Don't refreeze thawed milk. And, last but not least, don't keep the leftover milk from a partially finished bottled. It can be contaminated with unfriendly bacteria.

The same thing will apply with baby food & cereal. Always spoon the food into a separate bowl for feeding and then refrigerate any leftovers in the jar. This prevents the remaining food from being contaminated.

I hope this helps and that you continue to enjoy success with pumping for your daughter. I admire and applaud your dedication ;-)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can't heat and then reheat a bottle, be it formula or breast. The day care are right to have discarded it. I used to be a breast feeding peer supporter. I'd definitely send in smaller quantities for them to use instead.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always told to discard leftover formula or breast milk. I did this for my own children, and for the children I took care of at home when I had my own daycare business.

Susan in So Cal

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home