Saturday, January 28, 2006

The first day of school

At least, that's what I'm calling it. It makes me feel better.

Monday is the big day. McKenna is starting daycare. DH and I have stretched this out as long as possible alternating taking vacation, and on Monday, it's all over. Starting on Monday, my baby will start being cared for by others.

Yes, it SUCKS.

But I'm trying to make this fun and keep an open mind about it. I've been told by SO many people that kids that go to daycare really regard it as school and look forward to playing with kids their own age, and become well-adjusted independent thinkers. Not sure I really believe that, but there is no choice in the matter. We can't afford for one of us to stay home right now.

Yesterday I called to kind of touch base with them, and they informed me that she must wear pants every day. I guess I was a little confrused because I planned on just sticking her in a onesie every day, but apparently they want pants on OVER the onesie. My husband thinks it's so there will be another barrier between the daycare provider and her BUTT in the event of a projectile poop explosion, which she has frequently.

I really can't say that I blame them! I would too if I were dealing with a number of babies that didn't belong to me. Other kids' poop is less charming when they don't belong to you!

At first, I was like, wait, I need to go get some more clothes, but after thinking about it a little more, I decided to search her room first.


I spent all day today reorganizing her closet and dresser and sorting clothes into areas...there is now an area of clothes in her closet and her dresser for "school clothes". I even set up this days of the week organizer in her closet that I got at my shower with two outfits in each cubby...one outfit to wear to school and one outfit to put in her bag if she dirties one of the ones up in her "drawer". This place keeps clothes of hers there so that if she has an accident, they are all set with clean clothes.

As for shopping, I normally would NOT pass up an opportunity to buy her more stuff, but after taking stock of what she's got, she does NOT need anything. I forgot that we are talking about the best dressed baby in the neighborhood here...this kid has more pants outfits, shorts outfits, etcetera than I remembered. I've probably got enough stuff for her to wear a different outfit to daycare for a month before doing laundry.

At first I was like, "wait, I don't want her to wear her cute stuff to daycare", but then I remembered that this kid is growing like a weed, and some of this stuff that I'm saving is going to be too small for her soon. If she doesn't wear it now, when will she wear it??? So I just said screw it and I'm going to dress her so cute every day for school. It'll make it more fun for me anyway. If I didn't already have it, I wouldn't go out and buy her special school clothes, but she's got it, she's growing out of it, I might as well enjoy it!

But I have had some sad moments this week. She is now regularly drinking six ounces of milk now at a time from a bottle, and I have only four bottles that will accomodate that. The small Dr. Brown's bottles (the 4 oz ones) just won't do it. So last night, I put them up on the shelf either for when she starts drinking juice or for Baby #2. *sniff* Today we are going to Babies R Us to get more bottles so that I'm not washing bottles every night when I come home from work.

I also had to add an outfit to the outgrown bin I have in her closet now...this adorable yellow sleeper with marigolds on it and a matching bib. For goodness sake's, she wore it ONCE! But her legs are too long for it. I almost put the bib away too since it matches, but changed my mind since I'd like her to at least wear that and she hardly has any yellow bibs. She's getting really big. I can't believe it. She's bigger now in her swing, bigger in her stroller, and my husband thinks that she is getting heavier to hold too. She still hasn't rolled over, but we're working on that.

She is starting a very charming little habit though. We've bought these Baby Einstein videos which are like the coolest thing ever, even though they ARE the biggest racket I've ever seen. They probably spent $100 on baby toys, hooked up a video camera, and played the Baby Einstein CD in the background. Total production costs...hmm, maybe $500 just to film the thing. And then they pop off a million copies at $14.99 each. What a money maker! I wish I had thought of it! And McKenna, seriously, LOVES IT. It's like crack for babies. Anyway, last night we put her Baby Mozart DVD on for her in the living room while she swung in her swing, and we went to fold laundry, and at the end, we could still hear the music playing. All of a sudden, she lets out this screeching SQUAWK! We of course both run in there to see if something's wrong.

Wrong thing to do. She was yelling for us to come and turn the DVD back on since it was over. At three months! She's already becoming demanding! I hit the play button again, and all is well in McKenna's world yet again.

Anyway, that's the status from babyland. We're off to run some errands.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trinabelle said...

We love Baby Einstein, too! Watch for the various "Buy 1, Get 1" type sales at Toys-R-Us. This lowers the cost per DVD. Although I have to admit, ours have paid for themselves many times over.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Suzi said...

I haven't gotten out my baby Einstein stuff out in ages. I guess I should have since I have 2 5 month old children in my care. I've always found it to be a big hit with the kids.

Actually, my 5 year old dug out a couple recently. She said she wanted to watch with the babies. She just loves the babies in care. We just haven't done it yet.

Goodluck with your entry into childcare. Hey, if you ever have any questions or concerns about your daycare, come on over to my blog and you can email me from there. I've been a provider for 18 years. I have worked with a many families from all walks of life and all ages, first time parents as well as grandparents raising grandchildren. I even have a grandpa now in the daycare that just had another baby of his own LOL! She's one of my babies I care for.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

My DD loved the Baby Einstein videos too! They really are like crack for babies!

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home