Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The new devil that is Babies R Us

There are certain things in this world that my husband believes are just wrong. He adamantly is opposed to the concept of valet parking. He gets madder than a hornet if I even joke about flipping him the birdie, even if I'm totally laughing and kidding around about it. He insists to this day that I still regard food like I'm in college, and would if he let me scrape off the top layer of mold on the cheese and eat what's under (so not true, but that's what he thinks), and he is a big believer that Wal-Mart is the devil and must be destroyed.

I don't totally disagree with the Wal-Mart statement. I mean, how many times have you gone in there for one simple thing, like MILK, and come out $150 poorer? And with a cartload of nothing but crap?

But now, there is a new devil in town stalking me, and it is Babies R Us.

I'm sure that to a point, every new mom goes through this. They just have to have EVERYTHING. And darn it, there are just SO many cool gadgets out there that you can get for every baby emergency!

I truly went in there for JUST a car adaptor for my breast pump. I came out with not only the adaptor, but a cleaning kit for my pump when I have access to neither clean water or a microwave, a first aid kit, and a bunch of little trial sized thingys for my diaper bags...stain remover, powder, butt paste, etcetera. Unbelievable. They cast the bait, and I was sucked in.

Just like Wal-Mart does. Are Wal-Mart and Babies R Us related?

But my trip to Babies R Us was NOT without amusement. I had three very funny encounters with people there:

#1: Mr. and Mrs. Let's Make the Ladies Restroom a FAMILY Restroom. I'm not kidding. I walk into the ladies room with McKenna and both parents are standing over the Koala changing their newborn who clearly was not happy. They are lucky I'm not weird about stuff like that...heck, I'll pee anywhere...but hello, there is a NURSING room across the hall with changing tables!!! But it was kind of amusing to watch them...they were trying so hard to get this kid changed and I doubt this kid was more than a week old at best. They even had their wipes in a little plastic box for their diaper bag. It was just so cute! I wonder if people looked at me the first week like that, and went, "Aw, how sweet, they are new parents!"

#2: Miss I'm an Expert on Everything Baby and Miss I Want Every Piece of Baby Clothing Now. There were these two women digging through the clearance racks that I'm pretty sure were sisters, and I'm fairly sure that one of them had just adopted a daughter from China. (Reminded me of you, S!) The reasons why I'm fairly sure the daughter was adopted and that it just happened:
-the lady was white and blonde and the baby was clearly Asian with black hair
-the baby was eight months old (I asked)
-they were considering buying all kinds of totally adorable and utterly impractical baby clothing, like pleated dresses in a nine month size
Don't get me wrong, McKenna has her share of adorable dresses, but they are for HOLIDAYS and for PHOTOGRAPHS, not just for wearing every day! It just gave me the impression that she had just adopted this girl and was starting to go shopping for her since most of the time you don't know what age you're getting when the baby comes home.

#3: The Poor Guy in Search of Help. I (me!) was actually asked for my opinion on the Chicco by this poor new father whose wife had just had a baby girl a few days ago and wanted a new travel system. He saw McKenna's in the cart and wanted to know what I thought about it. Of course, Miss I'm an Expert on Everything Baby butted into our conversation UNinvited and had to interject her opinion about how great Chicco products were...even though she had a Graco system. I didn't quite understand that one.

*rolling eyes* Anyway, it was an interesting afternoon out. I also finally got my license renewed after seven months of driving around with it expired (VERY long story there), dropped by my office to turn in some paperwork, and bought some new clothes at Old Navy. I bought my first pair of post-pregnancy jeans. They are three sizes larger than my size that I was wearing when I got pregnant the first time, so I'm not happy about that, and they don't look that great right now, but they are SUCH a nice change from my maternity jeans that I'll live with it. I never thought I'd grow to detest pants with elastic waistbands so much.

Overall, my first day of vacation was wonderful.

And have I mentioned that I'm a milk-producing cow? Literally? One thing I noticed when I went back to work part-time is that McKenna is consuming more during the day with a bottle than I am pumping, which worried the bejeezus out of me that I won't be able to keep up with her when she starts daycare. So, I started setting my alarm this week to get up and pump at night. Ha. It didn't take long for me to start producing milk like a dairy farm! So lesson learned: pumping will kick start things if my milk production wanes a bit. I just have to be diligent about sticking to a pumping schedule when I'm out in the field on fires.

And now...for the Blogging Year in Review for 2005!

Instructions: take the first sentence (or 2) from the first post of each month of 2005. That's your year in review.

WHAT A COOL IDEA! I have shamelessly stolen this from
Erin, who stole it from Ann. And what a year! It’s no surprise that almost every entry deals with my pregnancy.

January: AS IF the month of December could get any worse, my laptop chose TODAY to break down. Nothing has changed there…I still can’t live without my laptop. And guess what, my company finally gave me WIRELESS!!


February: And what a fun trip it was. : The fun trip, of course, was describing my last trip as a non-preggers childless mother…and a great girls’ weekend complete with Indian food, lots of alcohol, pedicures and manicures, and of course, SHOPPING! I love you, S!

March: I have decided that this book is my Bible. I truly believe that if it were not for Taking Charge of my Fertility, I would not have gotten so pregnant SO fast…twice! Truly an awesome book. Speaking of which…I need to get it back from my friend that borrowed it. Not that I need it anytime soon…

April: For the last three days, I have had the worst morning sickness imaginable, and I have not been hungry at all. That’s HILARIOUS to read, because when people have asked me the last few months if I had bad morning sickness, my response has been, “No, not that I can recall.” SO funny how having a baby just kills your memory of the bad stuff!

May: Are you wondering what will happen in four days? I sure was. I don’t know what I thought was going to happen, but happening in four days was the exact moment in my second pregnancy that I had my miscarriage in my first. Scary times.

June: Make them hang wallpaper together. The closest Philip and I came to seperating in the entire nine months of my pregnancy. That was a BAD night…the night we hung the Finding Nemo wallpaper border in the nursery.

July: At the present time, my house is 73 degrees, which matches the temperature that my thermostat is set on. And to THINK that at that point in time in July, I actually thought that felt cool. Ha ha ha. Later in my pregnancy, you would have thought I was burning in hell, I was sweating so hard, and to be honest, my hormones have never quite adjusted to where they were. I still sweat all the time now. But compared to that horrid month this summer with no air conditioning, I’ll take it.

August: I woke up yesterday morning laying on my back JUST like all the books tell you not to do and with the most uncomfortable pain right between my ribcage. Oh, you stupid girl, it’s ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE!!!!!! You just don’t know how much worse!

September: What else could have me up at 3:30 am other than more tossing and turning over work? Funny how now my daughter has me up at 3:30 am on a regular basis…and I actually cherish those moments. How life changes when you become a parent! What I was tossing over, of course, was my decision to pursue the management route, which I’m still going to pursue. But I’m going to wait to do it until McKenna is no longer nursing since I truly believe that a two-week stint in Los Angeles would KILL my milk production, not to mention I would miss my daughter horribly. Nope. Can’t do it right now.

October: Wow. One word to describe the best baby shower ever?! Clearly I was speechless!

November: My ultrasound went great today. Little did I know that what was INSIDE on the ultrasound would be on the OUTSIDE in four short days! Personally, I think McKenna just didn’t like the ultrasound tech, G, poking at her.

December: I'll post a quick summary of what's happened. I can do it quicker now. Baby. Surgery. Panic. That’s about it.

Well, that's all I've got for today, folks! Enjoy your evening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home