Friday, December 23, 2005

A new found respect for working moms

This week has been really hard. HOW on earth do working mothers do this?

I returned to work on Monday much to the shock and delight of my coworkers. Apparently no one really knew I was back except my boss and a few of the managers. It sure didn't take long until they were using and abusing me all over again and today, as our office closed at noon, I was frantically typing, making notes, talking on the phone, and scrambling to get stuff done. After FIVE DAYS of being back! And as for my old fires leftover from when I left, well, it's like I wasn't even gone. I talked to about four of them on Monday, and they were like, "Welcome back, how's your baby, how was your maternity leave, okay, so how about my money..." WEIRD. It's like someone just pushed "pause" on the VCR for six weeks.

The first three days weren't horrible...although it was quite the challenge to try to get work done AND take care of McKenna full-time. Thursday my office made me come in for four hours since I was an acting supervisor, and today, I was an acting supe from home. Next week from Tuesday through Friday, I do the half at office, half at home routine, the day after New Year's Day I have to work so I am eligible for my 2006 vacation time, and then I'm on vacation until January 18.

Next week won't be bad at all since P is home all week to bond with his daughter...all I have to do is provide meals and he's doing the rest while I'm working.

But this week has been a whirlwind of sleeping, nursing, taking care of McKenna, working, laundry, baby laundry, cleaning, cooking, Christmas shopping, and wrapping presents. No scrapbooking. No stitching. No nothing!

My dad and stepmom are here visiting for Christmas and they got to babysit McKenna yesterday while I went to the office and then watched her for about an hour tonight while we ran over to Target for groceries. They are TOTALLY in love with her and it's so great to see! (Although I agree she's SO easy to fall in love with.)

Tomorrow we're doing the big turkey dinner, which I'm cooking and quite looking forward to actually. I really enjoy cooking now in my kitchen, especially a fairly easy meal like this one. I'm doing a nine-lb. turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, green bean casserole, canned cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, a vegetable tray, apple pie and pumpkin pie. It's going to be a full day in the kitchen, but I don't mind a bit...gives me a chance to mellow out a bit and relax from the week and I just love playing with all my kitchen gadgets, especially my KitchenAid mixer.

And on Monday, I'm starting Body For Life. Again. I'm committing to two twelve-week challenges starting on Monday, which will take me to summertime and my goal is to be totally back in ALL of my old clothes by then. We'll see. But I'm going to get busy. I picked up a used copy of Body For Life at the bookstore today since my copy seems to have grown legs and walked away at some point in the last three years since I discovered BFL in December 2002. I'm going to take a before picture and do an official weigh-in on Monday, which I'm not looking forward to, but I remember so well from three years ago that doing it makes the after product even that better. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for meals, but that's what I'm going to spend some time doing Monday since I have the day off, and Monday I'm hitting the gym for the first time in over a YEAR. To say I'm scared is an understatement. The last time I was at the gym lifting weights, I was in competition shape, and now I'm...NOT. Granted, I have the BEST excuse in the world...I just brought another human being into existence...but that doesn't make me feel any more attractive.

I just keep telling myself that I did this once, and I can do it again, and this time will be SO much easier for several reasons...

a) it's baby weight and is "new" fat, not "old" fat
b) I've already established good eating habits and now I just have to start practicing them again
c) I have realistic weight AND size goals this time around
d) I have seen what thin looks like on my body and I know what's possible with a lot of hard work
e) I still have a lot of muscle mass that I worked hard to build and with some good protein and some practice, that muscle mass will remember and start burning fat again
f) I now have a extra 500-calorie daily burner with breast feeding!

Anyway. That's all I've got. Time to clean up a little and hit the sack...I've got a BIG weekend ahead! Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home