Thursday, December 01, 2005

My baby has to have surgery tomorrow

I'll post a quick summary of what's happened.

Our pediatrician has been watching McKenna's breathing over the last month since she was born, and every week it's gotten steadily worse. Yesterday she finally agreed with us that just watching it wasn't doing anything and referred us to a pediatric ENT.

He diagnosed McKenna with laryngomalacia, a condition where tissue is growing over her airway opening and vocal cords and preventing her from breathing and eating correctly. Solution? She has to have surgery tomorrow to trim back the tissue.

Yes, I'm a wreck. Fortunately, I get to go with her and spend the night in the hospital with her, and the ENT that will do the procedure assured me that it's not that big of a deal (yeah, tell that to any first-time mother) and that she'll recover fine and that we will BOTH get more sleep in the coming weeks since she'll be sleeping MUCH more than her 1-1.5 hours that she's getting now at a stretch.

I wish I could trade places with her. I wish more than anything it was ME that this was happening to and not her.

Keep us in your thoughts. We'll be home Saturday morning.

16 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

{{{hug}}}

2:55 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

I'm so sorry you, P and little McK are having to go through this. I'll be thinking of you all and I hope all goes well. ((Hugs))

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((Hugs))) Erica, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it will all go well, and hope for a speedy recovery for McK.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

((((hugs))))
My goodness lady! I am so sorry to hear that McKenna needs surgery. I'm sure that everything will be ok and hopefully sleeping habits will be muchimproved afterwards. You're all in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kari Boardman said...

{{Erica and McKenna}} I'm sorry she has to have surgery, but having her mommy right there when she gets out will make her feel so good. :) I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definetely keeping you all in my thoughts. {{{hugs}}}

6:42 PM  
Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

Oh my, how nerve-wracking! {{{hugs}}} I'll be thinking about all of you.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica, It isn't easy for any mom to have to go through something like this, no matter if you're a first time mom or not. Lots of good prayers and good thoughts being sent to your and your family.

5:22 AM  
Blogger WhizGidget said...

Oh man... that's got to be the most nerve-wracking experience of a parent - surgical procedures needing to be done on your baby.

You all are in my prayers... all *will* go well. {{{{hug}}}}

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{{hugs}}}} I'm thinking of you both.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

Erica, please know you and McKenna are in my prayers. I am sure all will be well.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) Postive thoughts, it's going to be fine. You both are in my prayers.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Karoline said...

{{{{E & McK}}}} I'll be keeping you in my thoughts

11:46 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Good Lord. I'll be praying like crazy today to make sure everything goes ok. I send you a big hug.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Erica, post again soon and let us know everything is ok! Hang in there!

Carrie in Colorado

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica - sorry your little one had to have surgery. Keeping you, P & McKenna in my thoughts. {{{hugs}}}

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home