Monday, November 28, 2005

McKenna has won

I finally let her sleep in bed with me last night, and now I see what everyone is talking about. Except for her laying on my arm, I was comfortable and happy, she was comfortable and happy, and I actually got a decent amount of sleep last night.

But this is not going to be a regular event by any stretch. I still want to get her used to sleeping in her bassinette and eventually the crib. I don't want her to be one of those kids still sleeping with their parents at 8 years old! But for now, it's a great solution to calm her down. Even P admitted that she looked SO comfortable and happy snuggled with me. And I enjoyed being able to snuggle with her, rub her head and kiss her cheeks. She's such a cutie pie.

Not much else happening at the moment. I scrapbooked last night and now have fifteen pages completed, front and back. It's awesome!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica, for what it's worth, with both of my children, I learned that it's not so much *where* she sleeps but how she *gets* to sleep that is important. This is something our pediatrician explained, too.

If you rock her, sooth her, cuddle her, nurse her to sleep always, then she doesn't learn how to fall asleep on her own. Or, maybe more importantly, put herself BACK to sleep in the middle of the night (when she starts being able to go longer between feedings) when she wakes up.

In the long run, it's what works for the 3 of you that's important.

So if you get in the habit of putting her down for naps and bedtimes while she's still *awake* but almost asleep, she learns to self-soothe. Of course, that can be in bed with you so that you're a comforting presence, and then as she gets a bit older, move her to the bassinette beside your bed...then into her own room. :) But that's why people say to NOT pick up a baby immediately when she cries (when you know she's not hungry, wet, hurt, etc...just fussing). By giving her a few minutes to fuss, she might put herself back to sleep, or, if truly awake, as she gets older, she look at her mobiles, find her toes, etc.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking in here to see how you're doing. I haven't been online much lately.

I'm sorry you've had some rough days. I well remember them. I couldn't have made it without a rocking chair. We rocked our babies for years.

Take care and try and rest,
Susan in So Cal

10:51 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

When you pick up a hobby you go all out! 15 pages front in back is a LOT of scrapbooking. A LOT. Don't get me wrong, I love scrapping, but I can honestly say I've never done that much at once. never. You should take pictures of some of the pages and put them up here so we can all oooh and ahhh over them!

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home