Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sleeping Beauty

Six weeks to the DAY after she is born, she sleeps ALL the way through the night! Yahootie!

We stayed out late last night Christmas shopping, and when we got home, I nursed her and put her down to sleep around 11...she rustled around a little at 3 am, but put herself back to sleep before I had even put on my glasses, and didn't fully wake up until 8:30 this morning! Oh, my, goodness, I feel like a new woman!

Now I just have to figure out what to do if and when she makes this a regular habit. I woke up this morning in pain and with a soaking wet nightie because she hadn't nursed at her usual time of 4:30-5 am. Do I start setting an alarm to get up and pump or what?

And is it normal for babies her age to sleep this much? I'm not arguing with it and I'm certainly loving it, but she does seem to be sleeping a LOT. This morning after a big diaper change, a big breakfast, and some cuddling with mom and dad, she's out again.

We are also going to take our Pack and Play apart today for a while...she just isn't using the bassinette portion of it, it's taking up room in our bedroom, and there's just no point to have it out still when she probably won't use it until she's playing in it.

Today: we're finishing up our Christmas shopping and cleaning up the house. I'm back to work tomorrow, so there's no time this week for McKenna and I to do our usual errand running during the day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely normal. If she's sleeping a lot, count yourself lucky! Babies that age typically need to be sleeping again by an hour or two after they wake up in the morning, and after naps. I know that at that age, DS was asleep again for his first nap an hour to an hour and a half after he woke up in the morning. The first nap is a continuation of night sleep.

If you haven't read it, I recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Even if you don't like or agree with or use the method that he advocates (extinction), it is worth reading it just to find out about how babies sleep at different ages, about when their sleep patterns change, etc. I didn't read it until DS was a month old, but it made such a difference. So far, his sleep patterns and needs for sleep changed pretty much exactly when the book said they would.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Autumn said...

Your milk will adjust to the schedule. When the girls slept through the night though, if I woke up I'd pump. I never set the alarm to pump. Might as well get your sleep when you can.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica,

Growing is hard work! Little babies burn lots of calories while they are growing and need lots of sleep! Juse enjoy. Your body will adjust to it as well. Enjoy your first day of work (I think). Thought you weren't going back for awhile?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I wasn't going to, but after thinking about it for a long time, deciding that I didn't want to take any time off unpaid, and my husband taking vacation time to help with McKenna, I decided to go back early and work the majority of it from home. I won't be returning to the field until January 18.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your body will definitely adjust to her routine Erica, it won't take long. I had a wonderful sleeper as well, (though it took him a fraction longer than 6 weeks). At about 4 months he started waking for a night feed again, and I adjusted again. Enjoy every extra bit of sleep you get :)

4:00 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Way to go McKenna! My two did that as well, but man, that soaking of the nightie, me, DH, the bed, was ever so charming!

Have a lovely Christmas with your little angel!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home