Friday, August 25, 2006

Attacked by jalapenos

And I'm serious about that.

All week I've been gearing up and psyching myself up for the big weekend of McKenna's party...I went grocery shopping Wednesday night and today I got up and started cooking. I kept telling myself all week that the key to success today would be staying calm...because when I get rushed, I panic and that's when things get spilled or dropped. I even joked with people at work that I was worried I'd set something on a hot stove and burn down the house.

But never in my wildest imagination did I EVER imagine that I would be injured in my culinary adventure today!

Do you remember this post? My culinary rules? Click here to refresh yourself and then read on to find my newest addition, rule #11.

Rule #11: NEVER cut jalapenos without wearing latex gloves.

I started cutting them first for salsa and then realized a few minutes in that my face was burning. I washed off, chilled my face with ice, etcetera, and then was fine. After I made the avocado dip, I realized that my fingertips were stinging and it wasn't subsiding. I've been in pain ever since then. I really think I have a second degree chemical burn on my fingers. It's been agony ALL DAY today.

Ugh. I never ever envisioned such a thing could happen. After all, it's not like I haven't cooked with peppers before! P just cracked up and said that it was true evidence of just how Caucasian I am...I'm sure his brother and sister-in-law cut their jalapenos with their bare hands.

Oh, well. Live and learn.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the burning subsides for you soon. My Mum had that a couple of years ago, but it was her eyes and she ended up in hospital to have them washed out.

Enjoy the party :)

1:56 AM  
Blogger Shalini said...

Erica, dip your fingers in cold yogurt for 15-20 minutes if they're still stinging. It'll calm them down.
Been there, done that.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did that one year making salsa. I found that soaking my hand in white vineagar for at least 15 mins and then letting it air dry did the trick. It did make my hand blister, but when my hand was dry the blisters were gone.

Tee

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home