Sunday, August 20, 2006

McKenna's Party Menu

Geez, I have never ever planned a party for this many people before. I knew I was probably insane, but now I'm seriously thinking I really am.

Can I get some feedback? Even though I know I'll end up doing what I want anyway, I'd love to hear opinions on what everyone thinks of this menu/quantities.

I have 35 confirmed RSVPs and about 12-15 maybes, so I'm kind of planning for 40.

spicy chicken tacos (6 lbs of chicken) and beef brisket tacos (normal 3-4 lb brisket that my father-in-law is making)
**For this, I'm buying 40 tortillas and then toppings of Cheddar, avocado, tomatoes, scallions, onions, lettuce and sour cream.
Curry Beef Balls (3 lbs of ground beef)
two full batches of spinach and artichoke dip (about the equivalent of two casseroles worth)
three batches of salsa (about 6 cups)
green avocado dip (about 2 cups)
**tortilla chips to go with all three above dips
veggie tray (carrots, cucumbers and celery...I'm just going to buy one big bag of baby carrots, four cucumbers and one bag of celery) with 2 cups of Ranch dip
two dozen deviled eggs (which will be 48 halves)
half a sheet cake from Costco (already ordered)
fruit fantasy and cheese/cracker trays from Kroger (each is supposed to feed 18-20 people)
plain M&Ms
six gallons of sangria
3 2L of Coke, 2 2L of Diet Coke, 2 2L of Dr. Pepper, 1 2L of Diet DP, 2 2L of 7-up, 2 2L of Mt. Dew, and a case of Capri-Suns for the kids

Here's my plan...yes, I've already worked this out on paper so I don't have to give it any thought this weekend.

Friday: make spinach-artichoke dip to the point of baking, boil eggs for deviling, make salsa, and start preparing sangria
Saturday (before baptism): pick up cake at noon and trays/ice from Kroger at 1, make spicy chicken, cut veggies for relish tray, make Ranch dip, make green avocado sauce, make/bake beef balls, devil eggs, and get ice cooler ready
Saturday (in the brief 40 minutes after baptism and before party): warm and set out all food, bake spinach/artichoke dip,and finish sangria

Thoughts? Does it sound like I have it all covered or is there something I'm missing??? Does it sound like I have enough food/drinks or too much?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

If you are having that many people it sounds about right for the amount of food. And you are so organized! Good luck with it all!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds great to me! In the past when I've had veggies and dip at parties there was always a lot of veggies left. It will be interesting to see if people your way eat more of them.

It's wonderful to see someone planning and cooking for a party. I work with many gals who are a lot younger than me, (I'm 47) and virtually NONE of them can cook anything and they're proud of it.

Susan in So Cal

7:25 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

With an expected 40 people I might get 55-60 tortillas. Things like tacos tend to get doubled up on by quite a lot of people. Besides, you can always freeze them if you don't use them. Other then that everything sounds fine!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd second the tortillas comment above. But then again, I'm one who would have more food than be short of something!!
Your menu sounds delicious-- and you are so organized!
Remember to take LOTS & LOTS of pictures, and enjoy the day!!!

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home