Sunday, September 17, 2006

The very definition of busy!

Whew. If I thought I was busy before, I didn't know what was coming!

This past week has been busier than any week so far. It's been really really really busy! Between training, getting my old claims finished up, and running meetings, I've barely had time to breathe at work. It's just insane! And I lost my first employee on Friday...she gave her two weeks' notice despite assuring me that it was nothing to do with me.

And every night I have fallen asleep on the couch watching television. I'm just exhausted at night.

However, I'm not too busy for quality time with my girl! I've spent almost all weekend with my daughter. Yesterday P went to the lake to see some friends, and even though at first I was irritated because I didn't want to be on my own all day, I was glad later because it forced me to put everything else aside (cleaning, work, laundry) and just focus on HER for a full day. We had a great time. We spent several hours just exploring the house and playing, and then I took her shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond, Babies R Us, and the grocery store. I brought her home, I made us Korean barbecue from one of my baby cookbooks, and then I bathed her and it was lights out. Today, we had a playdate with one of my friends (and current managers) and her daughter, so we took the girls to the mall, had lunch, let them play on the floor of a bookstore for a while, and then strolled them around the mall while they snoozed. It was great.

And she made me SO proud today at lunch. While my friend S struggled to get her seven-month-old to eat bananas and drink her bottle, MY GIRL ate her chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and pear-applesauce with gusto, and THEN proceeded to feed herself three pieces of grilled chicken, pineapple and a slice of orange that I cut up real small for her. What a trooper. I'm SO proud!!! I know it won't always be like this, but for the moment, I'm relishing it.

Anyway, that's about all that's new at the moment. We have all kinds of new baby stuff around here after this weekend's shopping...new t-shirts, new crib bumpers, fireplace bumpers, hair accessories, bath toys, all kinds of neat stuff!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great that M eats so well. But eating isn't a competition. I have a child who *would not* touch solids before a year. I lovingly cooked her meals, had all the baby cookbooks, did everything "right". But it didn't matter - she wasn't ready. And that's fine.

So, be proud of your daughter - that's great. But please be sensitive to your friend - having a child who won't eat is not fun. At all.

(BTW - DD now eats a much more diverse diet than most kids her age, so she certainly wasn't ruined by her late start!)

5:08 AM  
Blogger Shalini said...

Mine's a late starter too! We had to struggle for solids the first year. I cooked all sorts of baby meals that family, friends said he *would* like, but no! Some kids just start late, and there's nothing wrong with that :)
Just like crawling, or walking, or talking, kids develop at a different rate. My son crawled when he was 5 1/2 months old! Started talking way too early. Learned to climb up the stairs by 7 months. Walked right after his first birthday.
We never pushed the food issue and we're proud of it. If all he wanted was milk and cheese, that was fine with us.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Ummm...did I say something in my post to make you think that I thought eating was a competition? It wasn't a shot at my friend S or anyone else. I was merely commenting that I was proud of my daughter and all the work I have done.

That's all! :)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home