Friday, September 01, 2006

The formula conspiracy

In all my irritation over the HR wench at work, I almost forgot to post McKenna's stats from her 10 month checkup!

Weight: 25 lbs, 9 oz (above 95th percentile)
Height: 29 1/8" (75-90th percentile)

She also got a Hep B shot and a finger prick test for iron. Her iron count is off the chart.

That being said, we have been slowly sneaking whole milk into McKenna's bottles. Guys, I just can't stand buying formula anymore. She eats yogurt and cheese with no problem at all, so clearly she's not lactose intolerant. So today, after I got the standard no-milk-until-12-mos lecture from the pediatrician, I, the annoying hippy mom, had to ask. WHY!?!?!?!?

She really hemmed and hawed but I kept poking and digging. She finally admitted that her big reasons for wanting to wait were that she didn't want McKenna to become anemic or constipated.

But, wait...doesn't fibrous grains and veggies like oatmeal, pears and asparagus help with constipation? Isn't broccoli, green beans, and beef loaded with iron?

After reminding the ped that McKenna eats a lot healthier than most babies her age (and probably more adults, including me) and in general being really annoying, I got the green light to switch her to milk.

Score! Maybe I'll get my scrapbooking allowance back!

So now I'm convinced that the formula thingy is a big racket. But then again, most babies at ten months aren't the size of two-year-olds, so there is that.

The pediatrician also thought it was hilarious that I actually fed McKenna pureed celery. I'm sure that was discussed and laughed at hysterically around the doctor's office all day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Hi, I just happened upon your blog and hope you don't mind if I comment. I am with you 100%, formula prices are crazy and I can't wait until my 6 month old can take real milk. For a while she was allergic to all milk products so she was on Nutramigen which was $25. for a can of powder luckily that passed and we are now on soy which is around $13. a can. I am hoping by 1 she is okay with milk products!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home