Friday, September 01, 2006

Inconsiderate AND rude

Want to hear a good ranting story about my day today? Pull up a chair.

This is the story of my brush today with a recruiter in our office. I can't even TELL you how annoyed I was all day today.

Okay, let's rewind. In a meeting on Tuesday with my managers, they mentioned to me that they would like for me to accompany our two recruiters to a local college today to go to a mixer that they were going to have with said college's Insurance Club (I know, I had no idea such a thing existed either) which was basically lunch followed by a Q&A session. Immediately after the meeting, I went to the recruiter's cube (to be known throughout story as K) to tell her that I would meet her up here at the office on Friday between 11 am and 11:15 am so I could drive her (since she doesn't have a company car) and that I would probably be here before that, but that I had a pediatrician's appointment on Friday at 8:30 am. I should also probably let you know that the college we were going to is about thirty minutes north of my house while my office is probably about twenty minutes east. In other words, my office is totally out of the way compared to the college, and that I was only coming to the office to pick her up to be nice.

Yesterday, I went by her desk to confirm the times and confirm the business dress and everything. So it was a go. I also gave her my business card with my cell number on it. Please note (as it is relevant to the story) that SHE did not bother to give me HER cell number, much less a business card.

So today, I get up and go to my pediatrician's appointment. Today, coincidentally, was also my first day supervising a team. The doctor didn't come to see us until about 9:15, and by the time I got McKenna to school, picked up wipes at the drugstore, etcetera, it was 10 am. I still had to get home, work for a little bit and shower/primp for this mixer.

Around 10:30, the supervisor for the team that I am taking over calls to discuss some HR issues with me about another employee. That ate up thirty minutes. By the time I got her off the phone and got ready to shower, it was 11:07. I immediately picked up the phone and called K at our office. The only way I had to get ahold of her was calling the office. I asked for her, they transferred me to her voice mail, and I left a message telling her that my pediatrician's appointment ran late and that I wouldn't be there until 11:30, but that we would leave as soon as I got there. I reminded her in the message to call me if there were any changes. I shower at the speed of light, throw on my clothes, and hop in the car with makeup and brush to jet to the office. I pulled up at 11:31 and parked in the fire lane.

Would you believe that when I walked upstairs, she was nowhere to be found?

APPARENTLY, from what my investigation revealed, when I wasn't there right at 11 am (even though the agreement was 11-11:15) she took off without a word to anyone, a note on my desk, or (this is the part that really got me) A FRIGGING CALL TO MY CELL PHONE. One of my coworkers apparently even offered to give her my cell phone number or call me, offers which she declined because "she would just call me on the road".

No. She did NOT call me on the road. I went into my manager's office and got her cell number and called her at 11:55 and left her a message, basically telling her very politely that if she would just call me back and tell me where we were going, I would leave to meet her.

I never got a call. Not all afternoon.

She finally showed back up at our office at 4:15 pm and went straight into my manager's office to talk about what had happened. My manager's daughter got sick so she couldn't come by and tell me what happened, so the next thing that happened was that K came by my desk to "apologize". Ha. This is the dialogue:

K: I'm sorry you missed out on coming.
(E thinks to herself that if that's her idea of an apology, K has a thing or two to learn.)
E: K, you could have called me.
K: You were supposed to be here at 11 and we waited for you until 11:10.
E: I left you a message that I was running late due to my daughter's appointment. Did it occur to you to pick up your cell phone and call me? All you had to do was call me.
K: *blank stare*
E: The only reason why I came over to the office was to pick you up because you didn't have a company car. All you had to do was call me and I would have turned around and met you at the college. Given my proximity to the college, I probably would have beat you there.
K: *blank stare*
E: You didn't call me back all afternoon. It was inconsiderate and rude and it threw a wrench into my entire day.
K: *starts shuffling off* All I can do is apologize.
E: Apology accepted.

I'm sure I'll get in trouble on Tuesday for telling her that she was inconsiderate and rude, but it was so worth it to see the deer in headlights look on her face after she stood me up AND made me look stupid in front of my managers. My boss talked to her boss, and given K's reputation in our office, they aren't believing her for a second, but whatever.

Yeah, I know. I'm a bitch. I call it like I see it, and I never claimed to be anything but brutally blunt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

No, fortunately I heard through the grapevine that she is giving a one-day notice on Tuesday and her last day is Wednesday, so I don't really care. Good riddance to her. She was a sucky recruiter anyway...all the managers disliked her because she acted like a princess in the office and would give them five minutes notice on interviews.

6:52 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Just gotta chime in here...no where in your blog did I see anything that indicated any "bitchiness" on your part. No you are not a bitch! I think you handled that situation with her swimmingly.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home