Monday, April 14, 2008

Thyme for pasta!

I made this dish a few weeks ago as a quick and easy meal on the cheap.

Beef and Macaroni

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
half of a green pepper, chopped
1 c cooked elbow macaroni
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup

Brown beef, onions and green pepper in skillet. Pour off drippings and place in a slow cooker. Add all other ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2-2 1/2 hours, stirring twice.
What I liked about this recipe: Seriously easy. It would be very hard to screw this up.
What I disliked about this recipe: The cheddar cheese soup? EW. I wish there had been a listed substitute. I'm not really sure if I could come up with a good substitute...I have read in casserole books that when recipes call for processed soups, use them, because the results just aren't the same.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: My little red four-quart slow cooker was the perfect size for this.
Tastiness factor: WAAAAAAY too strong of an herb taste. I felt like all I tasted was thyme and P said all he could taste was onions. And I even cut the onions to about a 1/2 cup. It is possible that next time could be better if I used fresh herbs, but I doubt there will be a next time. There are just too many other slow cooker recipes out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home