Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Rice to Riches

If you have not heard about this place, PLEASE check it out...it's a company called Rice to Riches located in NYC. I was utterly amazed when P told me about this place that he heard about from a girl at work who used to live in New York City.

Question from me: "And all there is in this little container is rice? And milk? No alcohol or anything?"

I have the old plastic container that the girl was going to get rid of (she gave it to us) and when P told me that she spent like $50 on this container (that included shipping), I just was flabbergasted to say the least.

However, it DID put me in the mood for old-fashioned rice pudding. First time I've made it. Pretty easy recipe too...it was one of four that I found in my cookbook collection.

Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding

2 1/2 c milk
1/2 c long-cooking rice, uncooked
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 t cinnamon or nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Cover and cook over boiling water, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and milk is almost absorbed, for about one hour.

What I liked about this recipe: Um, that it didn't cost me $50? For the cost of about a buck, I get really really yummy rice pudding...just not the cool container.
What I disliked about this recipe: Not exactly the kind of recipe that you just let go. It's more of a thing to make while you are cleaning up the kitchen after a huge dinner, which is exactly what I did while I was making it.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I love my double boiler.
Tastiness factor: Not as sweet as I would have liked, but it is good this way because everyone that is eating it can sweeten it to their specs. When I served this, I put out bowls of raisins, sugar, brown sugar (suggestion from my sister) and cinnamon sugar, and it was a huge hit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Erica:

That recipe looks great. How old is the cookbook it came out of? Doing rice in a double boiler isn't something I've seen recently.

Once I make it myself, I'm putting it on my list of updates for the second edition of my book, How To Cook Like Your Grandmother.

Drew
http://blog.CookLikeYourGrandmother.com

7:06 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Probably just a few years old...it's one of those books that is kind of styled after Grandma's cooking, so you're on the right track.

It was really good though. Very tasty. Let me know how you enjoy it!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home