Friday, April 04, 2008

Brownies of karma

It just so happens that I decided that I wanted something sweet the other night, and it just so happens that I was wondering how I would use up the rest of my sour cream leftover from brunch that morning. I opened up my brownie cookbook RIGHT to this recipe, and as luck would have it, I had everything on hand to make these. They were perfect. Simply perfect. At least, for the first day.

Sour Cream Brownies

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp (1 stick + 2 Tbsp) unsalted butter
6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c sour cream
3 eggs at room temperature
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c chopped pecans

Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl until combined. Combine the chocolates and the butter in the top of a double boiler and melt. When butter is almost melted, remove the top pan and continue stirring chocolates and butter until mixture is smooth. Transfer chocolate to a mixing bowl and let cool for ten minutes. Add sugar to the chocolate and beat until mixture is smooth and silky, about two minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add sour cream and beat an additional two minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat mixture after each addition. Add vanilla and beat for one additional minute. Fold in flour mixture and pecans and stir by hand until smooth. Spread mixture into a greased and floured 13x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing brownies.

What I liked about this recipe: That I had EVERYTHING on hand! What are the odds that I would have bittersweet chocolate chips? And I used up all of my sour cream and my unsweetened chocolate, which is good...I don't like ingredients to sit around forever.
What I disliked about this recipe: It took four bowls to prepare the ingredients (one for sugar, one for the flour mixture, one for the vanilla, and one for the chocolate, plus the double boiler. Lots of dirty dishes to wash. Also, there was a note on the recipe that said that these brownies will keep for four days. I didn't believe it until the fifth day. It didn't taste horrible, but just not great. And they were really crumbly after the second day and not very good without ice cream.
Cool kitchen gadgets used: I love my double boiler.
Tastiness factor: These were good. Very silky and chocolatey. And not too sweet either. Definitely worth the effort. Just not great for keeping for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home