Friday, April 11, 2008

Orange Frosting

I made a cake for Easter Sunday/P's birthday...his only request was that it be a white cake. I wanted to make something colorful and pastelly for Easter, and I had some leftover oranges in the fridge, so....I decided to make this frosting to go with it.

It was perfection on a plate. I threw some pastel cake decorations all over it and it was just so beautiful! Very pretty and perfect for spring.

Remember this cake? Just no coconut this time...and substitute this frosting.

Orange Sugar Frosting

1/2 c butter, softened
3 2/3 c powdered sugar
1 tsp orange extract
2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp half and half

Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add sugar, extract, zest and salt and beat for one minute. Add the half and half and beat well at high speed, stopping to scrape down the bowl often, until the frosting is smooth and creamy and ready to spread.

What I liked about this recipe: No cooking needed!!!
What I disliked about this recipe: Nothing. It was light, fluffy and perfect!
Cool kitchen gadgets used: My Microplane to zest the orange.
Tastiness factor: The orange flavor was light and citrusy and not overwhelming at all. It was the perfect compliment for the white cake.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try to get my wife to make this one. My youngest daughter and I absolutely LOVE anything orange-y.

Thanks for the recipe!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

You will love it...be sure and come back to share how you liked it! I'm actually going to make another one tonight for a potluck at my husband's work tomorrow...it's a wonderful, wonderful cake! Good luck!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home