Thursday, August 05, 2004

Ah, the wonders of the corporate world...

Yesterday was an interesting day at work. We lost two more adjusters, which normally wouldn't bother me, but these two in particular were actually fairly good ones. One quit because she found another job, an inside one...the other one is one of my teammates on the fire team, E. He's going up to our large loss team, which handles losses in excess of $75,000. (My team, the intermediate team, handles $35,000-$75,000.) The loss of E is particularly significant because it means that instead of three people on fires when I come back from vacation, most likely we'll be down to two. Argh. Queenie is already busily searching for someone to take E's place when he leaves at the beginning of September, but losing Ed will hurt. I'm happy for him though...I think this is a great opportunity. I have often thought about applying for large loss myself, and they've tried to recruit me on several occasions, but you are on call 24-7 and the territory is seven states. Way too much traveling and too much infringement on my personal time!

What this means otherwise though is that my office is getting desperate in a big way for some warm bodies. Enter, my husband. My husband's company is getting ready to shut down a good portion of their claims department and lay off a lot of employees. If he hangs around until next summer, he'll get a healthy severance package. My husband has been an adjuster for eight years, with the same company for eleven, is licensed in the state of Texas, speaks fluent Spanish, possesses great computer skills and is highly motivated. Only one snag: no four year degree, which my company requires for adjusters. My office manager still wants to look at his resume and see if an exception can be made given his work experience, but neither one of us wants to hope too much lest we be disappointed. I can't imagine anything better though than my husband coming to work with me...I have always dreamed of Philip and I being a husband and wife team at my company, so we'll see if that dream comes true.


Things in my life are pretty status quo right now. I'm looking forward to a nice quiet day at home today working after being in the field so much this week. I'm close to finishing my block on In The Arms of An Angel. Workouts are going pretty well and I've weighed at the same exact weight every day this week. So, I feel very good. The fear is still there a little bit over food, but every day, it gets a little better. I had lunch yesterday with Queenie and her husband and somehow I found myself confessing my OCD to her...not sure why I opened up...but she was very receptive and understanding and sympathetic. It was nice to talk about it, and now she knows the truth.

Here's Thursday's Tattle:

Do you have a BBQ? We do. We have a grill outside on the back porch.

Which do you prefer, BBQ or oven-cooked? Barbequed all the way. Can't beat that smoky taste!

What is your favorite thing to BBQ? An excellent cut of red meat, preferably filet mignon!

Is your grill charcoal or gas? Gas, which is why it's not operable right now...we're out of it.

How often do you BBQ in the summer? We used to grill out all the time, but now we've just found it easier to go to a barbeque place around here instead. And in Texas, they are on every corner.


Happy Thursday, all! It's almost the weekend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home