Friday, July 30, 2004

The Friday Five!

I am SO glad it's Friday! I don't know why though...I'm going to end up having to work this weekend. This week, while starting out slow, went to hell in a handbasket in a hurry.

You know, it's interesting that clothing and wardrobe is the subject matter for today. One of the best things about losing 70 lbs was being able to start completely over with clothing. I didn't throw everything out at once, of course, but it was a process over about a year. I started by replacing my business pants, jeans and t-shirts, and then slowly moved on to dressier clothes, and then underwear, bras and socks, and even SHOES by the end! Who knew that you could gain weight in your feet? I actually went from a size 11 to a size 10. (Yup, I'm a Sasquatch!) I still have a lot of my old t-shirts hanging around the house to hang out in, but I had to cut a lot of the bottoms off to make them short enough to where they didn't feel like a dress.

1) Of everything in your wardrobe what do you feel the most comfortable wearing? Why?


I am the most comfortable in sweats around the house, no question. I love sweatpants and sweatshirts (probably because they hide and that's what I've been used to doing for so long) and I would live in them if I could. I just feel so warm and comfortable in them and nothing feels better than a freshly-washed sweatshirt out of the dryer. I also really like wearing jeans and fitted shirts and feel the most comfortable in that when I go out.

2) How would you describe your style?


In a word? Boring. I am probably the most conservative dresser that I know. Everything in my wardrobe is a solid. Solid t-shirts, solid knit tops, solid long-sleeved tops, jeans, khakis, black slacks, white capris...all solid. I do have some striped racerback tank tops, and two Hawaiian button-downs, but that's about it. I won't wear stripes because I feel like vertical stripes look weird, I won't wear horizontal because they make me look fat, and I downright refuse to wear anything with a small floral print because that's what all my "fat girl" shirts were and I just won't wear that. So, I choose to really dress understated and just accessorize. Right now, I'm wearing black pants, a light blue scoop-neck t-shirt and black boots. See? Boring. One of the things that I always thought I would do when I lost all my weight was to wear all the cute trendy clothes that I couldn't wear when I was heavy, but only my body changed...not what I like. And what I like is solid basic classic stuff. I always think stuff looks cute on other people, but then I'll try it on and just feel like a dork.

3) How many pairs of shoes do you own and do you wear them all?


Let's see. Two pairs of boots, two pairs of running shoes, two pairs of strappy black heels, one pair of heeled flip-flops, two pairs of leather slides, four pairs of beaded sparkly flip-flops, one pair of rope sandals (which give me rope burns), two pairs of Lucite heels with crystals (one platform, one regular) that I had bought for my competitions, a pair of Birkenstocks, two pairs of heavy-duty work boots for fires, and two pairs of leather work shoes (like Oxfords) with rubber soles. Total=21. I do wear them all from time to time, but the ones that I wear the most are my boots, my Timberland work boots (for fires), and my running shoes. I love Nike. I don't wear my Lucite princess shoes, though...haven't slipped them on since my last posing class.

4) Where do you buy most of your clothes?


I buy almost everything I wear at Old Navy or Kohl's. I have bought one pair of pants at Chico's (a pair of sage green corduroys), a few shirts at Banana Republic, and a few things at the Gap, but for the most part I stick to Old Navy and Kohl's because it's cheap, I can dry my clothes in the dryer, and not sweat whether or not it's going to shrink. Plus, all the stuff at Old Navy is just so darn cute, I can't stand it!

5) What was the last piece of clothing you bought?


I'm fairly sure that the last thing I purchased was a bunch of t-shirts at Lady Footlocker. They were having one of those 5/$10 sales so I bought five v-necked t-shirts to wear around the house, and I also found two UNC shirts on sale which were great...one was navy blue with royal blue lettering and the other was heather gray with pink lettering. I think I need to wear that heather gray one this weekend actually...I just realized I haven't worn it yet!

I can't wait to settle in tonight with a cup of tea after I hit the gym and read everyone else's blogs and see what they say about what they wear! Clothing has really started to be one of my favorite things...of course, now that I actually care about how I look in them. I used to hate shopping, but now I love it. I even have (I can't believe I'm admitting this) my closet organized by color. I didn't even realize until I organized it that I had a shirt in every color. You open my closet and you see a rainbow of shirt colors! But organizing your closet that way only makes the most sense...it makes it so much easier to decide what to wear each day, that's for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home