Saturday, August 07, 2004

Moira's Favorite Dessert

I have many favorites...German chocolate cake, caramel pecan cheesecake, creme brulee, apple pie, coconut cream pie...but this one has been my "to die for" indulgence since I made it a few weeks ago to take to a stitching pal's house. I tweaked it a bit to make it Dana-friendly (she's allergic to nuts), but it is absolute heaven in my opinion...and oh, SO BAD for you! Definitely my favorite free day indulgence.

And I have this in the oven RIGHT NOW to be soon ready to eat with Ben and Jerry's vanilla ice cream. (The store was out of Breyer's.) This will conclude our free meal for this weekend. We ended up going to Joe's Crab Shack for seafood, so pretty tame, really, although I feel kind of sleepy. I had a Tie Dye frozen drink at dinner...layered drink of pina colada, strawberry daiquiri, margarita and melon margarita, and I can still feel it. I maybe have one alcoholic drink a month, so when I do have one, I feel it for hours.

Rocky Road Bars

(This recipe is from my Bake Sale Cookbook and has been slightly modified.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crush Nilla Wafers (or unsalted pretzels) under wax paper with a rolling pin or a meat tenderizing mallet until you have enough for 1 1/2 cups. Mix with 3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) melted butter and spread mixture in the bottom of a Pam-sprayed 13x9 baking dish. Pour one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk over "crust".

Mix the following toppings in a mixing bowl:

-2 C miniature marshmellows
-1 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chunks)
-1 C sweetened shredded coconut
-1 C Heath bar milk chocolate toffee bits (last time I made this, I did half milk chocolate toffee bits, half almond toffee bits)
-3/4 c chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds (optional...doesn't make or break the dish in my opinion)

Press mixture firmly into sweetened condensed milk and bake dish for 25-30 minutes or until marshmellows are browned. Let cool and cut into bars. Prep time is about...oh, ten minutes. It's a very fast, VERY satisfying dessert.

If you make this, come back and let me know how you enjoyed it! I know you'll love it!

I picked up some more capris and racerbacks at Old Navy tonight, and we rented a bunch of movies from Blockbuster, so I'm going to hit the couch and start stitching. To be continued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home