Sunday, September 12, 2004

Le chateau de bow-wow

That has absolutely no relevance to my blog post. It was just something that my husband told me today that hockey analysts say and I thought it was hilarious. Ha! For the first time since I've started this blog, I did not have an entry for yesterday. For shame! But this one will be jampacked with news and updates.

I had a really busy day yesterday! I slept in late, and then picked up my friend D to take her out to lunch at Jinshin (Japanese hibachi) for her birthday (which is today, so happy birthday to you, D!) and then we went adventuring to a new cross-stitch shop in Watauga where, to our much anticipated delight, we found our new framer! It is Russell Totty with Totty's Cross-Stitch! D found them, and as soon as I saw his examples of his beautiful work on his website, I knew we had our man...if he was affordable. He's a little higher than Dan, my old framer, was, but I knew Dan was undercharging us, so I wasn't surprised. The key is, he's still affordable! D brought her Mirabilia seasonal queens, and I brought Dancer to be framed. (In case anyone is interested...I chose a seafoam green mat and a gold frame, and he'll be done in a few weeks!) Anyway, it looks like my nightmares of finished pieces stacking up in my closet are not going to come true. In fact, I am thinking about going back to having a focus piece again after this rotation is complete! After our little journey to Watauga, I went over to D's house for a very nice relaxing night of stitching and watching movies. We both started our Garden Verses pieces and watched Xanadu, The Rocketeer, and Inventing the Abbotts. Good times! Although, I think that Garden Verses may possibly be the most boring piece I've ever stitched. Ever. Thank goodness it's only ten hours at a time.

So that was my day yesterday. I came home at about 1:30 am, and was so tired, I fell right into bed.

My day today...well, my day has consisted basically of breakfast out with P and a trip to Best Buy, where I finally bought an MP3 player so I don't have to lug around a clunky CD player anymore at the gym. I think MP3 players are about the coolest thing invented lately, I have to admit...the one I bought is an iRiver. This is the one that I bought. Lucky for me, I already know how great the thing is, because P has had one for about six weeks and loves it, so we finally went today and bought one for me. Look at that....eight hours of music, 40 hours of battery life, and it's TINY?! I love it. So this is going to be my new thing at the gym, when I'm working in fire scenes by myself for hours (which I often am), and when I'm at my claims office. I've found that when people have headphones on, they are much less likely to be bothered by people talking to them, so I think that might be a way I can work at my office more often and not be distracted by extraneous noise. We also bought a CD tower. This is going to be hard to believe, but in the eight years that I have been together with P, we have never consolidated our CD collection. Until this afternoon, they have been strewn about the house...in our office, by the computers, in our workout room, by our stereo in the living room, in our cars, in our gym bags, etcetera. Not anymore! Today we dragged them ALL out and went through them all...and put all the ones aside that we want to get rid of. It's amazing how much your music tastes change over the years. We also found several duplicates of CDs that we have, so next week it is on our list to go trade those in for the miniscule amount of money that we will get for them. (Note to self...take the box of Goodwill clothes too that have been sitting in the dining room too!)

While I was writing this blog, I just found out that one of my cousins who was a bridesmaid in my wedding is getting married on January 1, 2005. I'm really excited for her of course, but I can't help but feel a little hurt that I wasn't asked to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. At this point, I'm sure that she has already selected the ones to be, so I know I didn't get asked, but it just kind of hurts. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. I just really wanted to be a bridesmaid in someone's wedding, and it just looks like I never will since my sister eloped and all of my girlfriends have gotten married already except one. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to get over it.

Meme time for today! The Saturday Slant today is just too weird...I can't even come up with something original for that one. I like Weekend Wonderings though...and it's very fitting considering what's going on with Ivan the Terrible. (By the way, my grandma is in Kentucky right now staying with relatives so she is safe. My dad said that she is fine, but staying away until the storms are all over, and I am waiting until Ivan is gone as well to book my tickets to Orlando. I want to make sure there is an Orlando left before I spend money on nonrefundable tickets, but from what I'm reading on the news, it does seem like it's going to hit the Gulf side, so I'm resting a little easier, but I feel SO BAD for the people in Ivan's wake. I can't even imagine how they must be feeling.

1. Every area has its own problems with Mother Nature. What problems do you have in your area? We have pretty horrific thunderstorms, windstorms and hailstorms...on a very regular basis. It's unbelievable. The other problem we have here is with the soil. The soil content here in the Dallas area is a combination of sand and clay, which does not bode well for home foundations, and is the main reason why there are no basements! Dallas is in Tornado Alley though...and at any time during storm season, a tornado could rip my house to shreds.
2. Would you rather put up with the weather issues in your area or the ones somewhere else? Probably mine after reading what people have to go through with the hurricanes, but at least with the hurricanes, you have a lot of notice to get out of Dodge! With a tornado, you maybe have about five minutes, tops, to get into the bathroom and hang on to the plumbing for dear life!
3. What's the worst kind of storm you've ever been through? What happened? When I was thirteen, we had a tornado storm (several) come through our neighborhood in North Carolina the spring before I started high school. I remember going into the basement with my whole family the night it came through with the candles and hearing the storm outside. Very scary. We had very little damage ourselves at our house...minor at best...but a lot of houses in the area had a lot of damage, and I distinctly remember you could see the path of the tornados touching down on several lawns. Our neighborhood lost electricity for about a week and we were out of school for a while. It was kind of fun in a weird way...I remember just hanging out a lot with my best friend Lisa at the time since she was the only one of my friends that lived in my neighborhood within walking distance.

The Weekly Bit...more on work!

1. What is your dream job? This is the answer I posted in my blog the last time this question was asked...I always really wanted to be a magazine editor and do layout, headlines, copy editing, etcetera. People always really sticks in my mind.
2. What are the best and worst jobs you've ever had? The best job, in my opinion, that I have ever had is the one that I have right now. I'm serious. I absolutely LOVE my job. It has its bad points of course...I mean, if it was fun and games all the time, it wouldn't be work, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else right now other than what I'm doing. I just think it's great and I love it that I get paid as much as I do to do it. And being out in the field as much as I am, as much as I complain about it sometimes, sure does beat sitting all day on my tushie in an office staring at a computer screen. I'm convinced that doing that for five years before I started working in the field is what was a big factor in my obesity. The worst job I have ever had was working at Pizza Hut. When I was a freshman in college, I didn't have a car, and the only job I could get that was within walking distance and on my bus line from my dorm was working as a cook and server at Pizza Hut, and it turned out to be my first foray into the food industry. I will never eat a pizza from Pizza Hut again after working there. I used to go home on the weekends with my hands absolutely stinking of onions and no matter how many times I washed my hands or what kind of lotion I used, I could not get that smell of. It was just a disgusting place to work.
3. How do you feel about dating someone from work? Have you ever? Yup. My husband and I met on the first day of my first "real job" after I graduated from college, and we started dating about three months later. Fortunately for us, it worked out GREAT with no problems, but looking back on it now, it probably wasn't a good idea. We always joked that if we had split up while we were employed there, one of us would have had to quit. It just would have been too weird!
4. What job would you never want to do? I would really, really hate to be a workers' compensation claims adjuster. Talk about the bottom levels of HELL.

Okay, I guess that's all I've got for today! Thanks for reading, as usual! Happy Sunday!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new framer looks like he's going to be fabulous! He had some great stuff on his website. Lucky you!

Lisa

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel badly about not being in the wedding. Just think, you don't have to pay for all of those extras like a dress and shoes you will never wear again. :) Congrats on finding a great framer! - Kari

7:53 AM  
Blogger Annette said...

Having worked in a WC/GL Claims office, I can see why you wouldn't want to work those types of claims based on why you like working the fire claims you do... :)

Congrats on finding a new framer! I can't wait to see D's Queens and Dancer.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your framer looks very talented - lucky you! Can't wait to see what he does for you. Congratulations on your mp3 player! I have an iPod, and I take it everywhere! It will be going with me to the hospital on Thurs., with some soothing Enya to help me through labor. Don't know how I ever lived without it!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the weddings. I have only ever been a bridesmaid in four weddings for three people. (Yep, that's two for one, if you know your math.) They have all been cousins. Right now I am watching a lot of people getting married and all my friends seem to be in the weddings. It's sort of sad. I would very much like to have a non-relative ask me to be a part of their wedding. But, like you, it seems that all my friends are already married. So, we'll just have to look on the bright side that we can spend all the money saved on our new framer!!!! I'm still excited. :-)

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home