Wednesday, November 17, 2004

And then there were two...

To say that today went to hell in a handbasket is an understatement. I really should have not said anything in my last blog post about being in great shape for vacation.

Last night, C and her husband M joined P and I last night to go to the Mavericks' basketball game...they were playing Phoenix. It was truly a great game and I, the non-sports fan, even had fun. And you wouldn't have believed the insane amount of junk that C ate. She had a chili cheese hot dog and a full order of nachos and a extra-large Coke. My plain hot dog, soft pretzel and bottled water was so tame in comparison. Throughout the game, I kept teasing her that if she kept eating junk food like that, Z (her son) would decide he was tired of missing out and would want to make an early appearance. This was after a FULL day of working fires as a team.

Yeah. I should have quit while I was ahead.

She calls me today in tears to tell me that she barely slept last night because she had horrible heartburn from the chili dog (see, I should have zipped it) and this rash that she has kept her up itching all night. Her husband finally called the doctor, who asked her to come in this afternoon for a check-up. I told her to make sure and get all her stuff together in a pile so I could come get it JUST in case. She told me I was being silly and that everything was fine.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next. I get a call from her husband M, and bam! Just like that, it's just Queenie and I alone on the fire team again! C was induced tonight since her blood pressure is up and she's showing signs of toxemia, she's having the baby tomorrow, and she's most likely staying out for the full twelve weeks.

*sigh* So much for a nice quiet week this week before vacation.

So, let it suffice to say that the next 48 hours, my last two days before I start my vacation, are going to be as ugly as ugly can be. At some point tomorrow I have to drive up to C's house to collect her laptop, her cell phone, all her claim notes, and hopefully get her password from her so I can access her computer. This of course is contingent on when M can meet me at the house to let me in. Queenie and I need to have a meeting sometime tomorrow to decide exactly what is priority and needs to be done in the next two days...and what can wait until I come back. There's a pretty good pile of work to be done. Even though my stuff is in excellent shape, I did get a fire Monday (our office got a total of SEVEN from the weekend) and I do have a few loose ends to wrap up, but C has even more loose ends than I do.

On the other hand, I'm SO EXCITED for C! This is so neat that her son is coming early! I know she's so excited...and SO ready for that kid to be out of her. She has definitely not had the easiest of pregnancies. Her nursery looks like it's right out of a magazine, her husband is so excited, and her stepson is really psyched too. I hope she has the baby tomorrow morning so I can go visit her tomorrow night and be dorky with balloons and everything. I was even thinking about making cookies or something to take to her...but I don't know. Is that a good idea to take stuff to eat? Moms reading this...chime in with your thoughts!

Anyway, that's my world right now. The morning sickness has been very mild this week, and I've just been struck with this overwhelming craving for junk food. It's pretty awful. I'm hoping that passes soon. I'm tired, of course, but that's par for the course right now, I suppose.

More later. Keep your fingers crossed for C, M and their son on the way, Z! This entry is light blue just for the baby boy that's fighting his way into the world as I type! I'm off to the couch to work on estimates...oh, what joy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

Yes, take her something to eat!! I would have killed for some "real" food (they don't let you eat once they start induction, and it was 27 hours with no food before L was born; I was starving!!), and I hated to have to keep sending out my husband or my mother. Of course, if she has to have a c-section, she'll be on clear liquids for the first 24-48 hours (depending on hospital/doctor policy), so she may not be able to eat it right away.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Christine S said...

Lots of good thoughts headed C, M and Z's way!!! And good vibes for you, too, to get all your work done and sorted out before your holidays so you can enjoy them!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Offer to record her favorite shows if she's going to miss them.

Home made cookies are always a big hit!

Call before you go over and see if she wants/needs anything (she's probably tired of sending her husband out) and offer to bring in carry out. Hospital food gets old, and if she had a C-section she'll be there for a while.

I'm thrilled to hear your pregnancy is going smoothly!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home