Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Woman in Arkansas gives birth to sixteenth child?!?

I had to really blink when I read that story today on Yahoo.

I am about at the most miserable point right now that I've ever been at with this pregnancy. I'm hot. I'm exhausted. I'm hurting in various ways. I feel like I ate a huge breakfast 24 hours a day...and that breakfast has legs and arms that treat my rib cage like a punching bag. If you are really in the mood to read the gory details, I posted the intimate details in my fertility diary
here but definitely read at your own risk and I am NOT responsible if you decide after reading my entry from today that you never ever want to conceive a child. (Dad, this is a warning...don't go there! Just take my word for it!) Don't get me wrong...I am SO excited about my daughter's arrival and about having a baby and life beyond myself, but I am so ready for her to be out of my body it's just insane. A coworker put it best today at the office...she said that her last two weeks she was so desperate for her doctor to induce labor she told him that if he didn't schedule her for induction, she would induce herself! And now, I can understand that feeling...castor oil, anyone? And as much as my husband, God love him, is trying to understand, he really can't understand the weight of the pressure that I feel right now...in less than a month, I am going to push a whole other PERSON out of my body hopefully with no pharmaceutical assistance, cutting or stitching needed and then prepare my body to be her sole source of nutrition for at least six months. It's really weighing on my mind right now. And I am SO tired of talking about my pregnancy at the office. I had read a book a while ago that said that you know when you are ready to give birth when you realize that you are SICK TO DEATH of telling people your due date.

Very true.

And then I read this story about this woman who has given birth SIXTEEN TIMES!? And wants MORE kids? Yikes. I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to keep my wits about me for the next five weeks (if I go that long) and she's already talking about getting pregnant again?????

I'm in the middle of reading Breastfeeding for Dummies and The Girlfriend's Guide to the First Year of Motherhood and I would DEFINITELY recommend that latter to anyone that wants to know what they have signed up for, and the former to anyone already nervous about breast feeding that wants to become MORE nervous still. I had my first official panic attack on Sunday when I read in that book that being induced with pitocin, having an epidural OR having a Caesarean can all affect your ability to breastfeed or your child's ability to latch on properly.

And the more I read these books, the more I realize that my goal to get to the gym two hours a day MIGHT be overshooting it just a tad. All you mothers out there, you have my permission to nod and say "I told you so" and laugh heartily now at my naivete. Yes, I know not what I say or what road I have ahead of me. But if I'm already waking up six to seven times a night NOW, isn't it good practice for when I'm breastfeeding?

Okay, enough whining. If you want to read more whining, go to my fertility diary.

Some good news that I will share. My coworkers at work gave me a baby shower today...and I was amazed at what I got. I received a high chair, a Diaper Genie, a couple of baby rattles, a hooded towel/washcloth set, and a Lily doll that speaks Spanish and English. Great stuff. It was fun, even if I was too exhausted to really make a fuss and look ecstatic about what I got!

They also announced the winners for this Customer Service contest that they ran in our office from June through September. Customer service is a HUGE deal in our office, so this was big. I tied for first with another adjuster...we each got a $300 spot bonus and an extra day of vacation in 2006.

I found out that since my five-year anniversary is in March 2006, I am eligible for three weeks of vacation next year instead of the two I thought I got, which is awesome since I want to take two weeks off at the first of the year.

I talked to my boss about possibly working the last two weeks of December from home rather than taking them unpaid, and he was extremely receptive, which I was happy about. It may be a moot point if McKenna doesn't arrive early, but I'm glad that they are at least willing to discuss it. The thought of taking any time from work unpaid just irritates me, plain and simple.

So that's what's going on with me. What's wrong with me, you might ask? Clearly, a lot.

We did hit Babies R Us on Saturday for a MASSIVE shopping trip and Target (twice) and I think we have everything we need now. I now feel like we could bring a child into this house and she would live like a newborn should...provided, of course, that the Milk Machine (otherwise known as ME) can figure out what she's doing and DO IT. The only thing we still haven't gotten is a travel system. We have now inspected and tried out every travel system that Babies R Us and Target carry, and I think we've narrowed it down to this
Quatro Tour Mocha thing by Graco....now we just have to get ourselves TO Babies R Us and get it.

The nursery looks fabulous. No two ways about it. I want P to assemble our swing and put together our bouncer, and then I will take some pictures and share. It really looks great. I find myself going in there almost every night just to walk around and look at the room...and picture it complete with a baby.

3 Comments:

Blogger WhizGidget said...

Ok Sweetie... I completely understand. As for the comments about epidural, pitocin or C-section adding to the possibility of having a child not latch on properly or affecting your ability to breastfeed - poppycock.

Children can have issues latching on with or without labor assistance. And they equally don't have issues. I was induced with my first and was on pitocin for almost 12 hours straight at one point *and* had an epidural. First time I tried to feed her, she was a little resistant but she'd already had a bottle before getting me (she had been in NICU due to having problems catching her breath - she was 2.5 weeks overdue, thus the induction)

Second baby? Delivered right on time, but she also needed some help halfway through with pitocin, and I also had an epidural. And she was on my stomach within 5 minutes of being born, and latching on hungry.

I think it really depends on the baby, and not the labor assistance devices that Mom chooses to use. {{{{{{hug}}}}}

5:55 AM  
Blogger Kari Boardman said...

I agree with Ann. Poppycock. I had an epidural and M latched on right away when I nursed her for the first time. I have a friend who had natural labor and her baby needed some assistance in latching on. I know it is hard, but try to relax a little. She'll be here before you know it! How exciting!!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Vicki Iovine's books are great aren't they?

I don't mean to freak you out about your little one being late, but here is some good revenge for all those people who asked when your due date is.

DH and I went shopping on Sept 19, 1998 which was Kyra's due date. I had nary a twinge so I knew nothing would happen. But the looks on people's faces were priceless when they asked the inevitable question and I would cheerily say, "Today!".

Kyra was born 5 days later.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home