Thursday, February 23, 2006

Confessions of an Infant Drama Queen

We've had a tough week this week with McKenna at school. Tuesday I got a call from them asking if it was okay to give her another bottle because she was screaming her head off. Wednesday I get a call from them asking me to come pick her up because she had severe gas and was screaming her head off. Today, no screaming, but I was informed when I picked her up that one of her classmates went home sick with a respiratory virus (RSV). I had taken her to the doctor on Wednesday, and nothing yet, so hopefully it'll be all right.

I had to change the bottles again though at their instead of sending four four-oz bottles, I'm sending five five-oz bottles. Fortunately she hasn't drank all of them this week yet, so each day I'm marking the frozen or oldest ones with a star so she gets those first, and whatever she has left over, I take home for the next day. Tomorrow, since it's Friday, anything that she doesn't drink and everything I pump is going right into the freezer.

She's been fine at home, although she has definitely figured out that the quickest way to get mom's attention is to cry. It's hysterical...we're eating dinner, she's in her swing, and as long as I'm paying attention to her and playing with her, she's all smiles, but the second I turn my attention to my dinner, she's pouting and crying.

Amazing how fast they learn.

I have to admit though, it really warms my heart that she cries for she really knows I'm her mommy. She was fussing tonight really badly and wouldn't let P hold her...the second I held her, she calmed right down. It was the same this week with school.

Maybe this week has just been a little bit of seperation anxiety?

Anyway, we'll see how tomorrow goes. She's having school pictures taken tomorrow, so I'll post one when I get them back if I decide to buy one.

I had a great OB/GYN appointment on Wednesday. I really expected to get an enormous lecture from my doctor about my weight loss efforts or lack thereof but instead of that, I was hugely praised since I've lost ten additional pounds since my last checkup in mid-December. To me, it doesn't seem like a lot, but my doctor was really happy to see it and said that I should really feel good about it considering that I'm a) a new mom, b) breastfeeding, c) pumping/working full-time. Slow and steady wins the race, she reminded me, and the fact that I'm not in maternity clothes anymore sixteen weeks post-partum is great, she said. I'm still wearing maternity dress pants, but it's only because I haven't had time to get out to the store and buy some new pants yet. The maternity pants are falling off me all the time except for the jeans, and I'm not wearing the tops at all anymore. She was most of all very impressed with my pumping efforts. She asked how often I was pumping and how much I was getting at each pumping, and when I told her, she was like, "Wow! Most women only pump at lunch!" and said that I should be able to make it as long as I want with no problem if I keep it up. So that did make me feel good. I was all ready with my "eat shit" response if she harped on me for how much weight I hadn't lost, and it turns out I didn't need it after all.

One quick little update with work...I've decided to go ahead with my plans to move into upper management at work. I just don't want to wait anymore. Yes, the two-week trip to Los Angeles would bite the big one, but I'll just take my pump and pump as much as possible. Hopefully by then, McKenna will be on baby food as well as breast milk, and it won't be quite as traumatic then. I'll come home on the weekend to limit the number of nights that we're apart. The next open posting at work is in May, and I have two exams to take before then. They are going to be doing a massive hiring spree this year of new adjusters, so my boss feels that there should be no problem with me being hired in our office to be a supervisor. I'm rather excited...feels like I'm moving into a new stage of my life.

The other good thing that happened with work today is that we had a very large diagnostic audit at work and on the two files that were audited for me, I got two 4.0 scores, which is my company's equivalent of an A++. It's unheard of. Most people get 3.0, 3.5, etcetera, and not only did I get a 4.0 on one file, I got it on BOTH. My boss was really thrilled and wants to take me out to lunch next week to celebrate and congratulate me. I was really excited too, but it just confirms my feeling more and more (as well as my managers' feelings) that I've gone as far as I can in this job and I have nothing more to learn as an adjuster. It's time to move on to the next stage. I've been an adjuster for ten years as of August, and five of those years have been in the field. Something new would be very welcome at this point in time.


Blogger Heather said...

Ah my little one did exactly the same thing. She would only calm down for my Dad or for me.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Congratulations on the high scores at work.
On another note, your little one will go through so many stages every week.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home