Saturday, April 29, 2006

March of Dimes Walk America

Today P, McKenna and I walked six miles to help raise money for March of Dimes.

Of course, all the money was raised BY ME beforehand...I raised about $1,500. Thank you to everyone who chipped in. Thanks to your donation, I am getting a $60 gift card to Foley's as a thank-you from the March of Dimes in addition to the wonderful feeling of fulfillment that I feel for doing the first truly charitable thing in my life since I was in high school aside from donating clothes to Goodwill.

The walk itself went really well. We of course were late (big surprise) and didn't start on time, but we weren't the only ones who were late due to the lack of parking. We actually started walking at about 9:30 and ended at about 11 am. At every checkpoint, we were rewarded with fresh water, Powerade, bananas (there's those bananas again) and apples. The walk was at White Rock Lake in Dallas, so it was very pleasant and breezy with the air off the water. One of my coworkers showed up that I haven't really ever spent any time visiting with, so we got to talk and chat the entire walk. It's amazing how you can work for YEARS with someone but never really get to know them until you are thrown together in a situation like this.

McKenna did great...we put her in her stroller and only had to stop once for a diaper change. No fussing, no crying, no screaming. As soon as the walk was over, it started to pour but we made it to my company's tent in time to avoid getting drenched, and had lunch...I nursed McKenna right after we ate...and all three of us (even McKenna) got t-shirts.

We got home, and all three of us took a nap. I can't remember the last time I took a nap in the middle of the afternoon...it was delicious!

And now I'm resting, gearing up for a night of scrapping, and thinking about how much my legs ache. Six miles...whew! I believe that meets my exercise requirement for the weekend for sure!

Thanks again to all the donors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I'm glad the walk went well and that it didn't rain until you had finished! Congrats!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home