Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A wooby?

Have you ever seen that movie Mr. Mom? Where the dad has to bribe the kid to let him have his security blanket for an afternoon just to see if he can survive without it?

We have noticed that McKenna is now clutching her blankies for dear life when she sleeps...just like a security blanket. Hey, I'm not knocking it...I had a ratty old stuffed rabbit called Peter when I was a kid. There are stories and lore circulating our family about Peter, such as the time that I left Peter at the grocery store and my mom had to go back and retrieve him. His ears fell off and were sewn back on a few times, and he was so patched and nasty by the time I outgrew him and moved on to just sucking my thumb alone, much to the joy and delight of my future orthodontist. My mom even kept him and threatened for years to show him to my future husband...and she made good on that promise as P will attest!

Tonight we put her down to start falling asleep and she started fussing. As soon as we gave her a blanket, she was happy.

I have had this little pale green blanket hanging on her crib for months. It is kind of a combination of satin and flannel with a moon on it. I remember when I was given it at my shower, I was like, "What IS this?" It's so small...maybe about a square foot total in size. I gave it to her tonight for the first time.

I think I'm going to have start thinking now about what I'm going to bribe her with in five years to let the Wooby go.

For the amusement of all my blog readers everywhere, fess up. Who else has had a Wooby or a special stuffed animal or doll?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yep, definitely. I still have (the very originally named) 'Stripey Tiger' and 'Spotty Tiger', though they need some serious refurbishment now. Spotty tiger came about because Stripey Tiger was lost, probably much to my parents' consternation! But he was found again.

We encouraged DS to form an attachment to a bear at around 4 months of age, and I can tell you it helped immensely in the sleeping-through stakes, so we'll be doing the same with DD, for certain.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

I had a stuffed dog that my mother made named "Blue" - he was made of a soft blue material and served as companion and pillow (my head fit just perfectly between his legs and his body was perfect height for my head). He went everywhere, and was patched and re-patched.

Now, my woobie is my daughter...that's my nickname for her ;)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

i had a blankie that I carried around with me everywhere. I stayed once with my (horrible) grandma who decided that my blankie needed to be washed. She had a machine with the clear windows in the front, and I parked my butt in front of the machine until it was done and I could have my blankie back again. I was 3 I think. I kept that thing until I was about 8 and my parents tortured me into relenquishing it. I have no idea what happened to that thing!! I bet my Mom swooped in and put it in a hazmat bag and threw it out!! Ha ha ha

7:36 AM  
Blogger Maree said...

I had a blanket, that my mother progressively cut down to smaller and smaller squares. The only memory I have of it is rubbing a very small piece of material, frayed at the edges, under my nose when I was about 5-6.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a teddy bear my grandmother gave me when I was very young - he went everywhere with me - over the years he had to be patched many times (the result of about a million hugs) - now he has a little aran jumper on him, mainly to hold him together.

Love the blog, Erica - I only discovered it earlier this week while googling nail polish or something. I've read from Sept. 2004 up to date over the past few evenings. Anyway, I'm hooked - can't wait til your next entry !

2:53 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Oh yeah, and I remember the day I was forced to give it up as it if were yesterday. I was five, and my mom was at a bridge party. My dad was taking care of me for the night. My next-door neighbor, Kirsten, also had wooby. In order to get us both to give them up, Kirsten's wooby went in my closet, and my wooby went in her closet. The thinking was i coulnd't get to it, but I would know where it was. I whined, then fell asleep and that was the end of wooby! But 35 years later I can still remember that night - and I still remember wooby.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home