Friday, June 30, 2006

Our score on the Dyson: an 8

Well, we used our Dyson last night in our living room and today in our master bedroom. I personally have not used it yet. My husband is convinced that the reason why he is not sleeping well at night is because of the level of dust in our house, and hence, since he is now motivated to clean the house AND the Dyson is new, I have not been permitted to operate the new appliance as of yet.

However, it is pretty darn cool. I tried really hard not to set my expectations too high...I heard varying predictions from, "You won't believe the shit it'll suck out of your carpet" to "It'll actually change the color of your carpet". But I have to admit, I was so hopeful that it would be as awesome as I hoped it would be.

It is as awesome as I hoped it would be.


Before:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Slick, huh?

The reason why we scored it an 8 out of 10 is because, according to my husband, a 9 would be a Dyson Animal that operated itself, and a 10, according to me, is something that makes your carpet SO clean you can actually eat off it. Hey, nothing's perfect in life.

Now I want new carpet. *sigh* Want, want, want. That's all my life is these days.

And now I have a question for tropical fruit eaters everywhere. I bought a papaya on Monday and stuck it immediately in a paper bag for ripening. As soon as it was all yellow and slightly soft to the touch, aka ready to eat according to the baby food Bible, I cut that bad boy open and started scooping out the seeds.

I don't know, maybe I've just bought one too many shampoos with papaya as the main ingredient in it, but it smelled really quite PUNGENT. My question: is that normal?

We both tried it and pronounced that we would not be giving it to her. I have never eaten papaya except in a smoothie. P said he has but can't remember what it tastes like. It tasted just okay...very bland and not the sweet fruit I anticipated. I guess I had something in mind like mango. I don't know. All I know is if I've made it 31 years without tasting it, she won't perish if I don't give it to her either. It's not like papaya is going to be a fruit that we buy on a regular basis in our house.

Anyway, any thoughts or feedback on the papaya issue would be appreciated. Since I had to give her something new as part of her culinary journey towards the magical age of 12 months when she can eat pretty much anything and I had nothing new to give her since we threw the papaya down the Insinkerator, I mixed in a little cinnamon with her pears for dessert. It may have been my imagination, but I think she relished them a bit more. But that's an easy one...kids LOVE cinnamon.

Fourth of July plans...well, I've been racking my brain trying to think of stuff to do, and I think we've decided that we are going to take McKenna to the pool at some point this weekend to introduce her to water (maybe) and then Tuesday night our fair city is having a Fourth of July celebration complete with stilt walkers, clowns, symphony, an outdoor concert and fireworks. For free. Can't beat that.


I also made my first card myself today. I signed up for a gift exchange for the Fourth of July on my Trying to Conceive board (don't ask me why, I thought I got those internet gift exchanges and swaps out of my system years ago!) and I really needed a cool July 4th card, so a few pieces of cardstock later and a few minutes with my tools and voila, I had a coolio Fourth of July card! I plan on doing that much more in the future! SO easy and so much cheaper!

Happy Fourth of July to all! Everyone out there, be safe!

4 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

Papayas and Mangos aren't even close. And papayas can be *quite* pungent. I absolutely abhor papayas (the ILs eat them daily)

I SO want a dyson... but I don't have carpet, so that would be silly, huh?

6:06 PM  
Blogger Abi said...

I LOVE papayas. They do not taste anything like mangoes. Papayas are very subtle. Do you know what variety of papaya you bought? I usually get Carribean Red. I don't have to wait for the skin to turn completely yellow. If it is slightly soft to the touch (not mushy) and it smells right, then its ready and gets an overnight stay in the fridge before DH & I devour it.

I love the before & after pics by the way. DH would never let me spend that much money on a vacuum tho.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gal you like the Dyson! We have no carpet, and a Dyson. It's still awesome for things like tufts of dog hair. They actually come towards the vacuum, instead of blowing away.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He, he. I didn't get to operate our Dyson at first either. DH was so excited at a new gadget, he vacuumed the whole house. Lately, he's been letting me do it a little bit, but I think he still gets a thrill out of playing with the new gadget.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home