Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Father's Day!

I just spent a fair amount of time tonight baking a German chocolate cheesecake, brownies, and finishing P's family scrapbook to take over to my father-in-law's house tomorrow. Ah, the things we do for our families.

The family scrapbook has been a labor of love for the last three months. I wish that I could say that I have loved every minute of it, but I'd be lying. McKenna's book was WAY more fun to work on. But, it's done now, it looks good, and now I have a great foundation to add pictures to for P's family events. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same thing with my family photographs once I finish getting them all in order and printed out. But for now, I'm going to get back to McKenna, which is my favorite cropping matter!

And speaking of the little angel, I still have not made a final decision about nursing vs. weaning. I appreciate so much all the comments and feedback. I read and reread every one of them. Truthfully, I did start to wean on Tuesday...I cut out a pumping during the day and nixed my before-bed pumping, so basically I was feeding her in the morning, pumping at lunchtime and then feeding her again at night before she went to bed. It worked great up until today.

Today, she would not take a bottle from me, would not fall asleep unless she was nursing, and in general made it pretty well-known that she is not ready to give up nursing yet. I was only so-so about it earlier this week, but the thing that made me want to start weaning was thinking that it wouldn't matter to her. Even my husband agreed with me after watching us today that I should try to keep it going, at least for a little while longer, since it's obvious that she still really wants to nurse. It would have been so much easier to give it up if she went on a nursing strike. *sigh*

But those days of being attached to my pump are history. Today I bought some new formula (my first EVER since I was living off the free stuff from McKenna's pediatrician up until now) and she's going to get that during the day at school. There's no doubt about it. And I'll continue to put my pumped milk in her bottles. But I'm still going to nurse her in the morning, in the evening and pump when I need to. The good thing is that now that I'm only nursing 1-2 times a day, those nursing sessions are very worthwhile ones...I have lots of milk and we're both really enjoying them. But I don't know how long that'll continue...my body could figure it out any day what I'm up to.

So we'll see. I'm going to try my hardest to get back to the gym and start dieting again on Monday. My milk production is definitely down, so I'm hoping that will help with the appetite thing. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I just really need to start working on some of this baby weight, even though I don't want to work on it.

Not much else going on from my world. I'm scheduled to take that management test AGAIN on Wednesday, and I'm scared to death that I'm going to fail again. Just more pressure that I don't need.

At least McKenna is eating asparagus. That was my big pressure yesterday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a while now and just wanted to say that I identify so much with your breastfeeding issues.

With my first son I went back to work when he was 6 months and tried pumping and it wasn't great. He hated formula and wouldn't take it at all in the daycare, so he basically went hungry the whole day and nursed all night. You can look it up - its called 'reverse-cycling'. It was exhausting, but my milk production didn't go down.

After he was about a year old I stopped working and he nursed through until he was 2.

With my second son, I was home full time and nursed him without any formula, but when he was about a year old I decided to go on diet and my milk production pretty much halted.

I didn't realise how much he was still getting from my milk and it was only when I took him to the clinic to be weighed that they saw he was losing weight! I stopped dieting after that and just got back to it 8 months ago when I finally weaned.

All in all, I'm glad I stayed fat for a while longer and continued with the breastfeeding until he was 3 - I gave him the best start I possibly could (despite the weight loss when he was 1!)

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home