Sunday, January 07, 2007

Destination Destin

One of my most crucial "to-dos" right now on my to do list is to finalize my vacation schedule for 2007. It's kind of hard because last year was my first year with three weeks of vacation at work, and I didn't really have a chance to use it since I used two weeks of it on maternity leave.

THIS year, I'm having trouble scraping up must-do occasions to use it! I've requested the week after Christmas as kind of a nice end of the year break, and I'm planning trips to Phoenix to visit my dad at the end of February and to Orlando to visit my aunt and grandma and cousins in April, but other that that, I'm free. It's SO heavenly!!!

And there have been no beach vacations in this household since P and I went to Cancun in 1997.

I freaking LOVE the beach. I can't even tell you how much I love the beach. There is nothing that I like better than being lazy and raising my rate of getting skin cancer with a totally fluff book on the beach with my condo/house behind me. I think it kind of started when my friends and I went to Myrtle Beach in 1993 when I graduated from high school. I still rate that as one of the best vacations I ever had. EVER. It was SO awesome and one of the few times I remember being the most relaxed in my life. The most troubling decision I had every day was just deciding where my friends and I were going to go eat each night.

Now, while I realize that I can't feel that free again with a toddler in tow, I'm in pursuit of the ultimate vacation this year, and I've had my sights set on Destin, Florida, otherwise known as the Emerald Coast. I think that my interest in this area was first piqued when I saw my friend T's pictures...she and her family vacation in Destin or Panama City every year so she has tons and tons of pictures from vacations.

Destin is famous for its sugar sand beaches and its green-blue waters. I've seen enough pictures since I've been researching this place this weekend to be convinced.

I'm hoping that we can convince my in-laws to go with us since we've been talking about planning a family vacation for oh, about five years, but this year, I'm hoping we'll really do it, and I'm taking the lead. Over the last twelve hours, I have shirked my five audits waiting for me and have done nothing but researched housing possibilities...there are tons and tons and tons of beach houses waiting that range from two bedrooms to eight bedrooms and are quite affordable. I now have the bead on all the top family attractions in the area. I even know now that Scenic Highway 30-A is akin to PCH in Los Angeles on a smaller scale. I am ready!

And if my in-laws don't want to go, we're going to take McKenna by ourselves. The beach is ideal for a two-year-old, and she'll be three months shy of 2 when we go.

We'll see what happens. So far out of my husband's four brothers and sisters, one family has replied that they are in, so I'm going to see if I can get at least a tentative commitment from people by midweek so I can start researching pricing on houses with the number of bedrooms that we need.

I'm so excited!!!!! Destin, here I come!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica, I used to vacation in Destin when it was only beach and one small community of houses. It was wonderful! Nothing there but miles and miles of sand. Even with the development, though, I'd like to go back. :)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Jinger said...

We live in Pensacola and Destin is not far at all. We love going there. If you love to shop they have a wonderful outlet mall called the Silver Sands http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/ and a great outdoor shopping mall called Destin Commons http://www.destincommons.com/ with great restaurants and movie theater as well. Sometimes we will go stay the weekend. We like to stay at the San Destin Golf and Beach Resort. They have everything from hotel rooms to cottage rentals on the golf course, the beach, canals, etc. http://www.sandestin.com/ If you have any questions, feel free to email me. poetrae@bellsouth.net

7:31 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Erica-I live about 15 miles from Destin, when choosing a house, if it's not on the beach-across the road from the Gulf, make sure you have beach access. Currently one of the problems in Destin are the people renting homes not on the beach and using condo walk overs. It's a small thing but could ruin a vacation if you aren't right on the beach. I spent most of my life dreaming of moving to this area, there aren't many places prettier than Destin. As J Rae said the Commons are great, lots of shopping and a place to spend some time out of the sun. Personally I don't consider the Silver Sands and outlet mall, same prices as the regular mall but it's got a wide selection of shops.

Happy vacation planning! If you want to go out to breakfast I recommented the Broken Egg Cafe, there's also a Krispy Kreme that's fun for the kids, they can watch the donuts being made. Harbor Docks has great food. The sushi is wonderful. It's also got a view of all the fishing boats coming in. Lots of fun for kids to see the day's catch. Sorry, I really love where I live. If you want to take a drive, the Sailor Grill in Navarre has the best burgers on the beach. The Pagoda burger is the best! Their basket of steamed veggies is good too. If you really want to take a road trip Needle Delights in Pensacola is wonderful LNS.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

I'm also hunting for a house to rent for our family (10 adults, 4 preschoolers and a baby). If you find any affordable & fun rental houses on the beach (either gulf or bay)in the panhandle area, please let me know!

ann at mommysecrets.blogspot.com

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home