Sunday, October 15, 2006

My first meme in a LONG time

I didn't really know what to title this post for today. I didn't really even know what to write. Quite honestly, my brain is MUSH right now. I have so much going on and so much rolling around inside my head. It's very hard right now to string together any coherent thoughts.

So I decided to do a meme for the first time in a LONG time. I had to click through six blinkies before I found a current one, so I guess I probably need to update my template sometime soon. And what a surprise...it has to do with WORK. My oh-so-favoritest subject at the moment.

Here's the Friday Five:

1. What job do you have, and why do you like/hate it? I am a property insurance adjuster. I like it because it is something that really interests me, I enjoy it, and I like working with people. I hate it because it is very hard work and it involves working with people.
2. As a kid, what did you want to be when you "grew up?" I had a lot of dreams...I think I wanted to be a doctor until I got to high school and realized that I loathed science, and then thought about being a lawyer until I took a journalism class my junior year in high school. When I was selected as editor-in-chief for our school newspaper, my dream evolved to being editor-in-chief of a major magazine like People.
3. Is the job you have now anything like what you imagined as a kid? One thing's for sure...my dream never involved picking through people's personal belongings after a fire! And I never ever ever envisioned being someone's boss.
4. Do you have a five-year career plan? As coincidence would have it, that's EXACTLY the question that inspired me to make the move into upper management. My managers had invited me to a seminar on becoming a leader in our organization last summer, which I went to just to be taken off new fire assignments for a few days. My boss' boss' boss' boss posed that exact question to our class, and when I thought about whether or not I still wanted to be climbing around attics and on roofs and picking through people's personal stuff, getting filthy, in five years, the answer was NO. However, my current five-year plan is kind of undetermined. Quite honestly, I think I'll still be a claims supervisor in five years. So ask me in 2011 what my current plan is, and I'll give you an update.
5. In order to get the job of your dreams, is there anything you wouldn't do? Why? Well, there's a lot of things that I won't do, but in order to keep this clean, let's just say that I refuse to work the graveyard shift. That's basically what convinced me to give up on my dreams of being a magazine editor.

This past week has been one of the toughest I've had in a long time. Remember that employee I talked about that I think is scared of me? Now I have no idea. He called in last weekend sick for a week, and I spent all week long basically putting out his fires in addition to finishing up my training and going to Oklahoma City for a two-day tour of our call center. We'll see if he comes back to work tomorrow.

Our bathroom is now done. Our contractor finished up on Saturday. Since it turned into two weeks from the original four days we were quoted, he threw in some free texture and cheap crown molding. We selected our paint color this weekend (a brownish-gray called Eiffel Tower) and bought a pedestal sink, toilet topper cabinet, a mirror and a new light fixture. When we'll finish this project is a good guess. We'll see. My weekend plans were thrown a wrench when I came down with an evil stomach virus yesterday afternoon that had me up at 1 am puking my guts out. Nice.

Anywho, that's about all from here. Busy, busy, busy.

Oh, one last thing. I have some shouts out to two girls that I know read my blog. Shannon? Sharon? I left you messages Thursday night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erica! You're on Google -- I was researching a paint color called EIFFEL TOWER and your Blog appeared! I'm trying to find out what brand of paint it is. Benjamin Moore? Dutch Boy? Probably neither of those. Can you tell me? I'm Chazthomas@aol.com. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home