Sunday, August 15, 2004

More memes!

If you look down at the button section of my blog, you'll see that I have QUITE a few more buttons added down there. Yesterday while I was stuck in bed sick, about the only thing that I could do was to surf and play with my blog. I've never been so happy to have a laptop in my life! Yesterday would have been a really long day if I hadn't had it. The good news is that I think I'm going to live. Last night I woke up from one of my numerous naps (although it's really more accurate to say that yesterday was just one long nap) to find that the cortisone shot did its job and the huge goiter-like swelling in my neck finally went down. My neck is still very tender...I don't think I'll be wearing scarves anytime soon...and my throat is still very sore, but I can now breathe easily and I can actually swallow like a normal person. What a relief. I'm actually really hungry. I found that the easiest way to lose weight (not that I'm recommending this by ANY means or hoping that this will happen again) is to have your throat swell so you can't eat. The only things that I ate yesterday were ice cream, orange juice, hot tea, eggs and toast which I had to force down so the Vicodin wouldn't make me any sicker, applesauce and some cream of wheat last night. This morning I am 3 lbs lighter than I was on Friday. While I'm relieved to find that none of the crap I've had the last few days has bothered me, that can't be good. I'm hoping today that I'll get to eat some wholesome, nutritious food and start getting back on the road to recovery so I can enjoy my vacation with only one day lost. P said last night that he kind of felt like he was sick right along with me since he didn't eat much either. I swear, the best way to find out what kind of man you married is to get really sick (to the point of being bedbound) and then see how he takes care of you. P was awesome yesterday. He woke up early on a Saturday morning to take me to the doctor, sat there in the waiting room waiting for me for over two hours, took me to get my meds, made all my meals yesterday for me, and was just the most patient, nicest person ever. And he walked the dogs twice yesterday with no complaint. He even joked a few times when he would come in to check on me that he was coming to turn me over so I didn't get bedsores. What a man, what a man, what a mighty good man! I could tell he was really worried about me all day long yesterday.

Anyway, so back to the memes. I've had this blog now for three weeks, and I honestly thought that my little goal to use one meme a day in my journal entries would die off after about a week. But I've managed to keep it going, and even last week in spite of my crazy insane work schedule, I managed to keep it going, and even enjoyed it. I was a journalism major in college, and journaled a lot when I was in high school. Strangely, answering these memes in my blog is very enjoyable for me, it's therapeutic for me to get some thoughts down on paper, and from the feedback I'm getting, I think people are enjoying reading them! The only downside to sticking with the same seven memes week after week is that sometimes I don't particularly care for the questions that are presented or the meme questions aren't up yet when I'm ready to write about them or just aren't posted period, hence the reason why I found some more so I have a variety to choose from. For example, I had a hard time with the Friday Five questions this past Friday. I thought they were hard, I have a hard time trying to compare my crazy dysfunctional family to any unrealistic television family, and had I had a choice, I would have rather answered another meme. Plus, those buttons down there all moving and blinking and with all the colors are fun to look at and kind of decorate my space a little...they break up the black. Some days I may answer two or three memes, some days only one. We'll see. Bottom line is, keep coming back as this blog is going to continue to stay very active. I am really enjoying blogging quite a bit, and I find it very relaxing...plus I'm lazy and now I don't have to type the same things about how I'm doing in email after email after email to my friends. Everyone can just go and read the same things, and then we can talk about other stuff privately in email or instant messenger. All those buttons I added below are from the individual sites that I found with the exception of the cleaning icon that I made myself and the Sunday Brunch icon since neither of those sites has buttons to copy.

Both of the memes today I really like, so I'm going to play both. Heck, I gotta have something to do while I wait for my Vicodin to kick in so I can go back to bed!

Sunday Brunch (which is what I want to be eating in a few hours...hmm...maybe I'll ask P if he's interested in going to Blue Mesa) deals with school days...

1. Did you like or dislike high school? I loved high school! I thought it was the best!
2. Walk to school, ride the bus or catch a ride with someone? I rode the bus my first year, I caught a ride with my next-door neighbor (a senior) the second year, and the last two years, I drove myself.
3. What was your favorite subject? Spanish! I loved learning Spanish! It just all made so much sense to me. My favorite subject my last year in school though, when I was editor of my high school paper, was journalism.
4. When it came to doing homework, did you do it right away, wait 'til the last minute or just do it whenever you felt like it? Are you kidding? I am a true procrastinator. I waited until the last minute. Same in college, and the same now. Some things about yourself just do not ever change.
5. Would you go to your high school reunion? Yes, I would if I could. In fact, my ten-year was this past fall, and I wasn't able to attend because I had to go to large loss property school in California and the only time they offered it was the same week as my reunion. It was a career decision. I really was so sad that I didn't make my reunion, as I was apparently the only one of my friends to not make it, but I am so glad I went to large loss school because I really feel that it improved my skills as an adjuster in ways that I never imagined. Next one though, I'm there!

The new meme that I found for Sunday is called the Weekly Bit. Let me just mention here how much I really love the layout of this meme page. I love the colors, the graphics, everything. It's beautiful! Here are my answers:

1. What kind of music do you listen to? Only one word to describe it...mainstream. I love popular top 40 stuff, music from the 70s, 80s and 90s, classic rock, and some funk. My favorite is 80s stuff.
2. Who is your favorite music artist? It's SO hard to narrow it down to just one, but I am a huge Bon Jovi fan.
3. How has your taste in music changed over the years? It really hasn't. I still have a lot of my CDs from high school and I still listen to them.
4. What is your favorite song? "At Last" by Etta James. That was the song P and I had our first dance to at our wedding.
5. What song do you think is just plain annoying? There is this song, "Mercy Mercy Me" that was originally recorded (I think) by Marvin Gaye and then remade years later by Robert Palmer. I can't STAND that song. Talk about fingernails on a chalkboard!
Extra...If you could write a song about your life what would you title it? No clue. Everything that keeps springing to mind are titles of songs already, like "It's My Life".
What style of music would it be? Country, rap, ballad, etc. Ballad for sure.
Has there been a song out there that has really moved you and changed your outlook on certain things? Yes. When I was in the initial stages of my competition diet and really struggling with my trainer's plan for me, the remake of "It's My Life" by No Doubt was really starting to catch airtime. Even though it wasn't a new song, I could actually hear and comprehend the lyrics of this version. I couldn't really understand what the guy was singing in the Talk Talk version. Anyway, the song just reminded me that what I ate and how I exercised was my choice, my decision, and that this is still my life...and it gave me the courage to let my trainer go since we weren't seeing eye to eye. I know that's cheesy, but there it is.

So I guess that's all I've got for today. I'm feeling much better today than I was yesterday. I don't remember ever being as sick before as I was yesterday. It was bad. But if it only took one day to start recovering, I'll take it! And with that, I'm feeling the sleepies coming on again...thank you all for reading and for the get well wishes. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Bookworm said...

Hi Erica :) thanks for playing the weekly bit, great answers...great blog! Take care

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home