Saturday, August 14, 2004

What a way to start my vacation!

I thought I would wake up today and be feeling rested and all better, and ready to hit my vacation with a vengeance. Today is my first day of vacation. But God had other plans for me. I kept waking up last night in pain from my sore throat. By 3 am, I had already taken three doses of Nyquil, and the limit is four doses of Nyquil or Dayquil in a 24-hour period. I knew that it wasn't going to work...one dose of Dayquil for my entire Saturday. Uh, no. Then I woke up this morning and my throat was closing up! Talk about panic. I didn't know what was going on! I couldn't swallow, couldn't drink anything, and breathing was starting to be laborious. I even started going over everything I ate yesterday to see if I ate anything different, but couldn't think of anything. So, P took me to the doctor...they tested me for mono, which was negative, checked my white blood count, and of course, my strep test from last night is still pending. However, my white blood cell count is a little elevated, which the doctor seems to think indicates some sort of bacterial infection. I got a prescription for an antibiotic, Vicodin for the pain, and a cortisone shot in my tushie for the swelling in my neck. And...a stern warning from the doctor that if I spike a fever or start having trouble breathing again like I did this morning that I will go to the emergency room. I went home, and now I've been here in bed all day. I am feeling a little better now, but I'm so tired, the Vicodin is making me nauseous and drowsy, and I'm having a lot of trouble eating and drinking since the cortisone hasn't quite kicked in yet to bring the swelling down in my neck. And I can't speak above a whisper. Philip wants to take me out for some pasta in a few hours if I'm feeling up to it, but right now I'm not. I just want to sleep.

Just a joyous way to start my vacation.

I have some great news...Philip has his interview set up with my company for Tuesday! Apparently he did get through the HR barrier. All my managers seem very positive about it and very upbeat and encouraging, but I can't tell if they are acting that way because they are truly interested or because of me and how important I am to them. I just don't know. Just keep your fingers crossed for us! I am so psyched about him getting hired with my company. We've even been lightly discussing new office furniture for our home office! It would just be fantastic to work together.

I found a new meme for Saturday since the Saturday Slant is not posted yet. I kind of like the memes more that don't prompt you to write a novel response anyway! This one is entitled "Something For Saturday" and I've even got a cute button for it posted down there! I love all those moving buttons and things...they sure do add some life to my blog!

Here's the questions...enjoy!

1. When did you first start to taste alcohol, as a child? teenager? etc...

I am totally serious about this...but I did not have a drink of anything alcoholic until I graduated from high school. Nothing in high school, ever. I was the president of SADD, and I took it seriously. Plus, I was not old enough, and I just never really thought about doing it. My first drink that I had was at a friend's house...I was spending the night the summer before I went away to college, and we mixed about an ounce of tequila with Coke for each of us, and that was my first drink. Then I went to college and discovered beer, hall crawls, frat parties, and the world of fake IDs! The town where I went to school, Chapel Hill, has quite a nightlife scene.

2. During your high school years, did you attend many parties? Describe what they were like.

I attended lots of parties when I was in high school. I was part of a tight group of friends back then, and every weekend, someone had a party at their house. I had a lot of them at my house too since we had a great basement set-up. The parties were very tame though. Mostly just my friends and I getting together, eating junk food, drinking soda, hanging out outside, listening to music, talking. That's about it. No alcohol whatsoever. My friends were as big of nerds as I was. But they were a lot of fun. I have great memories of my high school years because of my friends that I had back then.

3. Where do you like to go out for a drink? Describe the atmosphere, music, etc...

My favorite places to go for a drink are the Mexican beachy-type parrot-head joints. Think Jimmy Buffett. I like bright colors, loud beach or Latin music, patio seating, and a summery feel to the whole thing! I don't ever go out just for drinks anymore, but if I'm in the mood to have a drink with dinner, that's the kind of place that I prefer to go...margaritas always taste better with chips and salsa and spicy Mexican food!

4. Has alcohol ever made you do something embarrassing?

Uh, yeah. When I was in college, T was in a fraternity at his school, and one night I had a little too much to drink at one of his frat parties. I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was something along the lines of threatening to kick the ass of one of his fraternity brothers for hitting me in the tushie with a golf putter. Ha ha. I'm sure there are other things that I've done too...I tend to become quite loquacious when I've had a lot to drink. Nowadays, since I only have maybe one drink a month, it doesn't take much at all.

5. What is you favourite alcoholic beverage?

Easy to answer. Top-shelf margarita, shaken with a little orange juice, on the rocks with salt and a lime. That's my absolute favorite cocktail. But since I don't drink very much anymore, I have been leaning towards the fru-fru frozen drinks lately since they are a little lighter and not as strong. I really enjoy pina coladas. This place we went to eat at last weekend, Joe's Crab Shack, has this great layered drink called the Tie Dye...it's four layers of frozen drinks including frozen margarita, strawberry daiquiri, blue pina colada, and melon margarita. Yummy!

It has taken me almost an hour to type this blog entry...that's how tired I am! This Vicodin is powerful stuff! Too bad I can't have anything to drink while I'm taking it...I bet I'd feel no pain!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! Sorry to hear you're starting your vacation sick. But thanks for not coming over Friday night and spreading it to us! :) Hope it doesn't turn out to be strep. That's really no fun.

And yes, I got the link you sent me to the Monster post. Thanks muchly!

--bish

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home