Friday, October 22, 2004

A picture speaks a thousand words!



Or really, just two. I'm pregnant!

After my disappointing negative test last Friday, I had pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that I had missed the egg this time, and was waiting for my period to show up...which it did not. I had chalked it up to my cycle not being regulated yet due to being on the Pill for eleven years, etcetera, but it turns out it was the oldest reason in the book!

Yesterday morning, I woke up sick to my stomach with the worst case of diarrhea you can possibly imagine. I thought I was getting sick like I always do before I go on vacation. Then, when the queasy feelings continued, and I started getting a headache, AND I had my first ever heartburn, the light started to come on. So I called P, told him to stop on the way home and get a test. He got the top one. After Survivor, I did the test, thinking that it would just confirm what I already knew and that I was probably just getting rundown and sick.

Wrong. The little pink line showed up, but it was PALE. I went out and told P, "I think I have a positive, but I'm not sure." He comes in, looks at it, gives me this look, and says, "I think you better pick up another test when you go get the pizza." We had just ordered out.

So I did that...and got the bottom test, which as you can see is a little more fancy schmancy. For the low low price of $17.99, you get the thing to tell you either "pregnant" or "not pregnant". There's no trying to decipher the lines.

Let me ALSO mention that by the time I had gotten back from getting the pizza and second pregnancy test, the line on the first test was as dark as you see it up there which just further freaked us out.

So I eat my pizza, and wait to build up some more urine, and then we decided to do the test after I peed in a cup to make SURE we were doing the test right instead of peeing on the stick. The directions say that a positive result usually shows up in about one minute. I was timing it...the word "pregnant" popped up in about twenty seconds.

P's reaction: Dead silence
My reaction: "Now I'm really going to throw up."

I was in shock all night last night, and didn't really know what to say, hence that cryptic blog message. Plus, I really wanted to make sure that our parents knew before I posted the news on the internet. This morning I called both of my parents who live out of state, and tonight we went to see my inlaws and tell them in person. My parents were both SO excited...this is their first grandchild, so it's a special time for them both. Both my FIL and my MIL cried, they were so happy. Seeing the look on my mother in law's face just made my DAY today, I swear.

I have not been able to have my doctor confirm it yet. I called her this morning and left a message but never heard back (not a great sign), but if today was any indicator, I don't think there is any question. Everyone has told me that those tests are pretty darn accurate, and I was nauseous all day. After eating dinner tonight, I fell asleep at my inlaws after visiting with them for about thirty minutes. I'm feeling okay now after drinking some herbal tea and eating a pickle.

So that's my happy news! I am so excited. I haven't quite formulated all my thoughts just yet, but I had an extremely tough time working today, that's how distracted and excited I was. And being the bigmouth that I am, I couldn't keep it a secret. I told just about all my friends that I could reach by phone and a small handful of folks at work.

Right now, I don't care if I have a boy or a girl, as long as the baby is healthy. P is SO excited and keeps researching names and other things on the internet. This is going to be an exciting time for us both, no doubt about it! Our lives will never again be the same!

I'm a firm believer that a big factor in why this happened so quickly is the time and effort that I have spent the last two years de-obesing and improving my cholesterol and blood pressure levels. I think my body just said, "Hey, she's ready! Let's DO IT!"

And of course, the first thing my mom wanted to know was if I was doing bright tropical fish colors or soft pastel shell colors, and if I was doing white wood or dark wood. This was literally about fourteen hours after I found out that I was pregnant.

Mothers! And I'm going to be one! That in itself is terrifying! But I'm SO excited! What an adventure this will be! I am READY for the next step.

I'll write more tomorrow, and do some memes, but right now I just want to savor this moment! And check out my new blinkie at the top! Cool, huh??? I've had that one saved for a few weeks for when I actually got my first positive test, but had NO idea I would be posting it in my blog so soon!

Thanks in advance for all the congratulations and well-wishes I will get from you all...I know a lot of you have been following my blog and my fertility journal with interest, and I appreciate all your support! This journal should start to get VERY interesting!!!!

16 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

My reaction: "Now I'm really going to throw up."

First reaction from me! LMAO
Second reaction from me! I get to be the Aunty Terri!

Congratulations :)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Christine S said...

Congratulations Erica!!!! That is absolutely wonderful news. I can only imagine how excited you and P are. Best wishes for a happy, healthy and uneventful pregnancy!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Karoline said...

Congratulations Erica & P, wishing you a happy and uneventful pregnancy

2:33 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yay Erica!!! That is *awesome* news!! Congratulations to you and P!!::):)

4:33 AM  
Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

WTG Erica and P. I'm so excited for you!!!! Make sure you give us all the details - I'm very interested!!! Love and hugs Jo

4:46 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

whoohoo, congrats!! :D

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news!!! Big congrats to you guys!!

--Kari

8:01 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Congratualations! I can almost 'hear' your excitement as I read, LOL. Brings back memories of my first positive preggy test 13 years ago. :-)

9:07 AM  
Blogger WhizGidget said...

Erica,

You are embarking on one of the scariest and most exciting things to do... parenthood.

Most excellent congratulations to you!!!!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I can tell how long you have waited for this. :)

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I can tell how long you have waited for this. :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Erica, I'm so happy for you and P! That is fantastic news. I'm glad that this happened quickly after you decided that you wanted kids! You are very blessed that you did not have to wait very long after your decision to become parents! It can be scary at times, but it is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do! Good luck, and if you need anything, let me know!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Oh my gosh!! Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!!!! :D

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's terrific news. :)
- Jennie (Jennie's Place)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! WOOO HOO!!!
Pregnancy is great practice for parenthood because every decision you make takes into consideration how it affects your baby. What you probably don't yet know is that you will continue to think this way for the rest of your life. Even after they grow up and move away.

Enjoy it!

Hugs
Trish

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the both of you. Enjoy every minute of it. Ann.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home