Saturday, October 16, 2004

What a week!

Thanks, everyone, who missed me, and thanks to everyone who sent me those nice cards! What a nice gesture and it sure did make me feel great! I really appreciate it.

I can't believe I'm awake and writing in my blog at three am, but I just crashed on the bed around 10:30 tonight and slept there for a few hours and now I'm wide awake for some reason. Go figure. I guess even the Energizer bunny runs out of power eventually!

What a week! That about sums up the last four days since I posted last. Since Monday night, C and I (who have been working as a team!) have received THREE fire assignments. That's a lot of field time! Tuesday we were in south Dallas, Thursday it was Saginaw and today Fort Worth. We didn't get home before 6:30 pm any of the nights. Today by far was the stinkiest one. I threw my clothes into my hamper and when I got home, I had to remove them and toss them into the utility room...they smelled so bad. Three field days on fires is a LOT. My throat feels so raw right now...not only from breathing in the smoke, but also from talking. A lot!

Anyway, I took the first two and C took the one from today...and she did GREAT. She has now ridden with me on four fires, and I've ridden with her on two...and I guess she really did pay attention to what I said and did because I was SO proud of her today. I only had to step in and help her a few times. I haven't trained a new adjuster (even though she's not really new) in probably a year and a half, and she definitely made me proud. The people today really warmed up to her (her being pregnant was a great icebreaker) and she put them right at ease, answered all their questions, made sure they knew it was her first fire, and really just got them taken care of. It was just such a feat to watch her, considering that she wasn't even an adjuster a year ago! I KNEW I made the right recommendation when I recommended to Queenie that she ask her to join the intermediate team.

One thing that we are thinking about doing though is working as a team going forward. I have never met an adjuster who I work so well with and who doesn't drive me crazy after a few hours. Usually when I ride with another adjuster for a week or so, I'm ready for some solitude after a while, but that's not the case with C at all. It's amazing when you find someone that you really genuinely like and get along with, and we have so many of the same philosophies towards customer service and assisting people...plus she really gets me and I like that. And the best thing is that the time it took to do these fires was really cut down this week because we were working as a team and that was fantastic, which is why we are thinking about working as a team going forward, especially for the big ones that have both building and contents involved. She's really excited about doing that, so am I, and we only live about 30 minutes away from each other, which in the Dallas area is nothing. Queenie wasn't opposed to the idea either when I brought it up to her. She said that if there was a way that we could convince her that it would work and that we wouldn't both be out in the field too much, she would definitely consider it. But C still needs to be able to do fires on her own...I'll be on vacation starting October 26 and then again the week of Thanksgiving...and of course, I'll be flying solo for twelve weeks after she has her baby. But it would be SO COOL to work as a team after she gets back from having her baby. We're going to think about it for a while.

My mother-in-law is improving slightly. She's been getting her nutrition through a tube, and apparently when this whole thing started she had really bad acid reflux which is the reason why she's having problems eating. But she's home, she's stabilized for now, and is feeling and looking stronger since she's getting some nourishment. The chemo is hard for her, but she's being a trooper and being brave.

Sadly, I am not pregnant. I know....WAAH! It's not like I really expected it to happen on the first cycle...okay, maybe I did! I don't know...I've spent so many years being SO careful about not getting pregnant, I guess I thought the second I stopped, it'd happen. I've been charting my temperatures all week, and they are remaining low. I'm now on my 35th day of my cycle and no sign of Aunt Flo just yet, other than some acne, some cramps and overall general PMS. I'm sure she's on the way. Tonight (since I'm so far along in my cycle) I stopped on the way home and picked up an on-sale $7 pregnancy test, and sure enough, it was a big fat negative. *sigh* Anyway, I'm kind of looking forward to getting my period (wow, did I really just type that?) since it'll be a sign of my cycle starting all over again! I'm trying really hard not to think about it so much and just relax. I finished Taking Charge of Your Fertility and now I'm working on the other one, What to Expect When You're Expecting, and so far they are both informative and entertaining. And this week? I want a boy! Ask me again next week...I'm sure I'll want a girl.

My stitching has been pretty nonexistent this week...I've just been so tired and working a lot when I came home. But I did manage to get Fairy Grandmother started, and I think I'm going to enjoy that one a lot. The colors are gorgeous. P and I don't have much planned this weekend other than cleaning and hanging out, so I should be able to get some work done on my projects and get at least one picture posted. Sleeping Beauty's definitely the closest to hitting the ten hour mark. I think I've inspired C to maybe take up cross stitch. She has done it before, but when I suggested to her that maybe she do a baby sampler for her nursery, she was really excited about that. She has her nursery decorated in light blue and green. This weekend her mom is here visiting from California, but I told her that maybe next weekend or the weekend when I'm on vacation, she should come over and look at my cross stitch books and then we could go shopping for stuff so she could start a project. I have TONS and tons of baby pattern books...I bet I could find something that she really likes. Her nursery is SO cute!

Working out has ALSO been nonexistent this week but with as much running around as I've been doing, I haven't been stressing about it too much, but I do need to get back on the wagon and pronto. P of course tells me I'm nuts and that I look FINE, and my clothes aren't tight at all, but I can feel my tummy very soft. But what's weird is that it doesn't feel hard and tight like fat...it feels extremely jiggly and loose, almost like I've just got a layer of water under the skin. Odd.

Okay, I have LOTS of memes to catch up on from the last four days! I'm just going to hit the ones that appeal to me the most at this hour...

Chick Chat

1. What's the Best Thing about Fall? The smells. Burning leaves is something that I associate so clearly with fall, I can't even explain it. Unfortunately, it's not something that Texans do, but I remember it well from living in North Carolina. Clear crisp air magnifies smells well.
2. Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Apple.
3. Do you pull out the flannel nightgown when it gets chilly? Uh, I don't even own a nightgown period, much less a flannel one. Sweats are my preferred chilly weather clothes.
4. Hot Chocolate or Mulled Cider? Hot chocolate, although cider isn't bad.
5. Sex: with socks on /or/ off? On if my feet are cold!

3X Thursday

1.When's the last time you went on vacation? Where'd you go? We went to Lake Palestine in mid-August with my dogs.
2. What's your favorite mode of transportation to get to/from/go on vacation? Plane? Train? Boat? I honestly prefer to drive when I go on vacation. A long drive is the best way to clear my head and really unwind before I start my vacation. By the time I get to my destination, I'm ready to have some fun.
3. How important are vacations for the human spirit? Do you think it's healthy for someone to go 20 years without a vacation? Why/why not? I think they are essential. Everyone needs a break eventually, and twenty years without one is a recipe for a heart attack!


Theater Thursday

1) Do you go to the movies alone or with friends/family? Do you know exactly what movie you're going to see before you get there, or do you stand for 30 minutes outside the box office trying to decide between Pauly Shore and Meryl Streep? I don't go to the theater very often anymore. P and I usually average one movie a year. If I go, sometimes I'll go with a friend. But when I do go, we know exactly what movie we're going to see. They are too expensive to just pick one!
2) When you go to the movies, do you usually buy:
a) Popcorn? What do you put on it? Yes. Extra butter and lots of salt.
b) Cokes? What's your favorite? Cherry Coke, but I try to be good now and stick to diet.
c) Candy? What gets stuck most in your teeth? We always get Reese's Pieces at the movies. P loves them.
d) Other (hot dog, nachos, sushi)? I don't think we've ever gotten anything besides popcorn and candy...maybe pizza once.
3) Do you like it load and raucous in the theatre, or do you immediately stuff crying babies in the nearest waste can? Do you talk back to the screen and interact with the movie, or do you sink way down in your seat and just experience it? We usually just watch in silence.
BONUS) What's your favorite, most memorable movie-going experience? What experience almost (or maybe did) make you vow never to darken the door of a cineplex again? As cheesy as this is, the first time I saw Titanic was very moving. I really cried in the theater (along with everyone else except P) and liked it enough to go back and see it two more times before I bought it on VHS and then just recently, DVD. The worst movie I have EVER seen in the theater is The Accidental Tourist when I was in eighth grade. By far, that is the most awful movie I've ever seen. I don't care who won what awards for it, it was more boring than watching paint dry. Talk about an awful two hours. If I had had my license and could have left, I would have.

Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Kitchen- What's your favorite room in your place? Do you migrate towards the kitchen, or prefer to cozy up in the living room? I really like hanging out in my bedroom. I have it painted a dark turquoise blue color (kind of juniper) and it's just a very calm, relaxing place. My bed is very soft and I love to snuggle with my dogs on it.
Twosome: Gadget- What's your favorite gadget type item and why? I absolutely LOVE my Kitchen Aid mixer. I don't know how long I lived without it. And LOOK,
they make it in pink now! If only I had a spare $250 lying around!
Threesome: Store- What's your favorite store, even if you never actually buy anything there? Are we talking kitchen gadgets or otherwise? My favorite store is
Target. I LOVE Target. You can get everything there. If we are talking kitchen gadgets, I love Bed Bath and Beyond. I can always find some fun thing for the kitchen that I need there!

Thursday Tattle

Do you like to talk on the phone? Not really since I have to do so much of it for business.
Do you talk for a long time or like to get off quickly? I like to get off quickly unless I'm in the car and then I'll talk forever.
Who uses the phone the most in your family? I'd have to say I probably log more phone time than P since my job is so complex, but for personal, P gets way more personal calls than I do for sure!
Do you have to look up people's numbers or do you know most of them by heart? They are all plugged into my phone.
Are you good about returning someone's phone call? Yes...unless it's the kind of call where the person's like, "Well, I just called to chat, no rush..." and then I drag my feet.

Friday Forum

1) Do you consider yourself a physically fit person? Why/why not? Even though I have been off the working out wagon for a few weeks, yes, I do consider myself to be physically fit.
2) What are your favorite types of exercise? Do you have any favorite sports that you enjoy participating in, and how often do you work out? I really enjoy weight lifting and exercising on the Stairmaster and the treadmill, and in a good week, I try to get to the gym 4 times a week minimum. As for favorite sports, I love swimming and downhill skiing.
3) Do you follow any special eating plans, diets, nutritional philosophies, weight-loss goals, etc.? Why or why not? How long have you been doing so, and have you had success with them? Well, as most people know, I lost about 70 pounds between December 2002 and May 2004 doing Body For Life. I had excellent luck with it and I feel like the eating habits that I learned from BFL really have stuck with me, even though I've relaxed a lot over the last few months. The one thing I don't believe in (and don't bother to try changing my mind) is the low-carb craze...I don't think it's healthy for anyone to train their body to stop relying on carbohydrates for energy. I think it's a recipe for rebound. That's my opinion. Your brain can't function on low-carb. Your muscles can't grow and develop on low-carb. The main reason why I've been able to maintain my weight for the last few months (even though I'm getting a little soft) is because of my muscle mass.
4) What would you most like to change about your physical appearance? Which features of your body do you like the most? I really like my arms a lot, although they are losing some definition with the less than clean eating. If I could change anything about my appearance, I wish my thighs were a little slimmer and not as bulky (I have huge quads) and that my stomach area was flatter. You can never lose fat cells...you can only shrink their size.
5) Do you feel that it's important to encourage children to become involved in sports? Why/why not? Did you participate in athletics when you were growing up? It's very important, and it's a lesson I will passing on to my children for sure. I was very athletic as a kid...I participated in competitive swimming when I was younger before high school, took diving lessons, synchronized swimming lessons, played softball with Little League, volleyball in junior high, and then played softball, volleyball and swam in high school. My last year of high school I was captain of the swim team.

Friday Feast

Appetizer What is your favorite beverage? Iced tea.
Soup Name 3 things that are on your computer desk at home or work. I think I've covered my desk at home in prior memes, so I'll go with my desk at work even though I'm only there on average once a week. I have a book called Office Sutra which is daily sayings that contribute to office peace and destressing. (It's not what you are thinking, so get your mind out of the gutter.) It was sent to me by a housing service vendor in California that I use on a regular basis. I also have a Buzz Lightyear toy that I rescued from a roof earlier this summer. And I have a UNC mug for herbal tea.
Salad On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being highest), how honest do you think you are? 9. I can't lie. I'm really bad at it. But I can tell little white lies about being stuck in traffic to make me late, when in fact it's because I woke up late. And I've used that migraine excuse a few times to call in sick at work when I'm just sick of work, plain and simple. But I can't lie about anything major.
Main Course If you could change the name of one city in the world, what would you rename it and why? I don't know what I'd name it, but Moscow always makes me think of a garbage scow, like the one in Overboard that Goldie Hawn hits her head on and loses her memory. I would rename that city to something else, but I don't know what.
Dessert What stresses you out? What calms you down? High pressure at work is the biggest stressor. I can't stand to have things undone. A hot shower, a nap, or just a few hours of cross-stitching is excellent for chilling me out.

The Weigh It Is!

Do you belong to a gym, or do you exercise at home/outdoors? Both, but more often at the gym.
Why do you do what you do? Is it the money, the convenience or something else? I truly believe that weight lifting is the best form of exercise there is.
What would your ideal exercise routine consist of, if time and money were not an option? Swimming and horseback riding.


And last, a Daily Dirt from this week...

1. What's your name spelt backwards? Acire. Sounds like something out of the Mummy movies!
2. Where you named after anyone? If so, who? My mom was an avid All My Children watcher when she was pregnant with me, and at the time she was pregnant, Susan Lucci's character, Erica, was married to a cast member on the show that had the same last name as my maiden name, and she just thought it was a good combination. So here I am. If you remember Erica's last name in 1975, that'll answer your question about what my maiden name is!
3. If you have twins, will you call them matching names like Bill and Bob? Absolutely NOT. I remember this lady in our neighborhood that had twins when I was in high school and she named her kids Tyler and Taylor. I remember how I thought that would be so annoying.
4. What do you plan on calling your kids? Unfortunately, my nieces and nephews have already taken a LOT of my favorite names. That's what you get when you wait to have kids! My nieces and nephews are Zachary, Danny Ray, Valerie, Natalie, Isabella, Julia, Victoria and Alexandra. The names that I really like right now for children are Ian or Diego for a boy and Emily or Lily for a girl.
5. What's the most weird name you've ever come across? Oh, no, I'm not answering that one! With my luck, I'll name a name that someone has a child named with!

I guess that'll just about bring me up to date. Thanks to everyone for checking in with me this week and I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home